PDA

View Full Version : Just how bad was my call?

OneStuckFish
02-05-2004, 10:48 PM
About midway thru a 10+1 sit and go:
The player immediatly to my left who had been raising the blinds almost every single time its folded to him, then folds when I reraise him, makes a small raise 2x the big blind from one off the button. Holding A-Qs I reraise to 6x. Both of use about average in chips. He calls, and the flop comes A-X-X. He leads out for 2x the big blind..?? I reraise again to 6x and he moves in. Here my thoughts are 1.) He raised one off the button very weakly. 2.) He called my preflop reraise b/c Ive been pounding on him when he steals fairly hard. 3.) He bet with middle ace or at best my A-Q down thru A-10. 4.) Him being tired of my reraises decides to make a stand. With all this in my head, I call fairly quickly, b/c I know only one hand beats me that I feel he could have A-K..and it wasnt played like A-K to me. Turns out he has A-K. I do get lucky and spike a Q on the turn, but still wonder..how bad was my play. Did it look like a bigger ace to everyone else?

ravenight
02-05-2004, 11:48 PM
If he was usually steal-raising for more than 2xBB, I'd say it's more likely he has AK or even a big pair than that he has a weaker hand, since his raise seems to be an invitation to play with him.

OneStuckFish
02-06-2004, 02:34 AM
2x raises is what he always attempted to "steal" with, so it was repetitive at that point. But, the small flop bet was a small bell in my head...

ravenight
02-06-2004, 10:48 AM
Well if the flop bet indicates a trap play (that is, if he usually bets more on the flop when stealing, or checks if he gets raised and misses his hand), you probably should have laid it down to the all-in, but you already have a bunch of bets in there, so it's pretty tough...