PDA

View Full Version : Just for the Halibut

M2d
02-05-2004, 09:20 PM
While Ray Zee has been hanging out over the hill in Colma, I've decided to go fishing. See, I asked if he was bringing rods on this trip, but he said that he wanted to play poker. sheesh!!
Anyway, I'm starting a new job next week, and, since I can play poker at night, but not fish much at night while working, I've decided to fish all week.
Today, I made my way out to Crissy Field, that den of liberal dog walkers right in the heart of SF, and busted out my brand spanking new 10 wt. rod. Thing casts like a broomstick, but all rods above 7 wts. do to me. I ranged up and down the beach, dodging school field trips with curious rug rats as well as unleased dogs and their self-entitled owners. along the way, I managed to pick up a single baby halibut, around 14" long. 8" and maybe a full season's worth of growing short of legal, but my first on the fly.
It's still too early for them, but the males are starting to show. Soon, the hawg females will be around, and the game will be on.

Zeno
02-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Congrats. Surf fishing? do you wade out far or just have on, say, knee high rubber boots?

I take it Ray thinks there are more fish in Colma? If my bankroll wasn't in stock right now I would fly up and take all of Ray's money. Tell him that for me - just to rile him up a bit. Then wish him all the luck in the world.

-Zeno

M2d
02-05-2004, 09:56 PM
I wore waders, but I didn't get out that far. pretty good drop off right off shore. However, since I'm from Hawaii, and this is winter in SF, the waders were pretty much manditory.

dogsballs
02-06-2004, 11:40 AM
hawaii, huh? I'm going there to live for the next year - maui. Got any tips for me or know any good poker games..? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'll prob go spearfishing a bit - do it here in bermuda already.

Ed I
02-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Is line control hard in the surf?

I'm afraid I'd smuck myself in the back of the head trying to power a large fly 80+feet. Even after all these yrs I cast like a bozo.

Ulysses
02-06-2004, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If my bankroll wasn't in stock right now I would fly up and take all of Ray's money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liquidated my portfolio today and am headed straight to Colma.

M2d
02-06-2004, 09:38 PM
actually, Ed, I just went to a seminar by Ken Hanley and Jay Murakoshi (left coast surf ffing gurus), and confirmed that short casts are better than long in the surf around here. line control is of utmost importance, and you cant control your fly at 100 ft. also, the fish tend to stack up in troughs in the sand right off shore. often, the strike zone is a few yards from your feet, and you are usually only ankle deep in the water. It's kind of like an extended version of short line nymphing. sixty foot casts are the most I go, even though I'm using a ten wt. and a shooting head. the head is to get down, and the ten wt. is for the possibility of getting into a monster striper or halibut. No way a six wt. would handle those guys.
I actually figured out the short line technique on my own. mostly because my distance casting sucks, and my shoulder aches if I try to double haul all day.

Oh, yeah, the beach I fished is right inside the GG bridge, so it isn't exposed to the winds and surf that you get at the outer beaches.