PDA

View Full Version : Overplayed Turn?

moondogg
02-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Seems like a fairly loose passive table, but this is my first orbit, so I don't have any good reads yet.
I added some questions on all streets, but I'm mostly concerned with the turn.

Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed)
moondogg has 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is BB

EP2 limps, MP2 limps, MP3 limps, CO raises, Button calls, SB folds, moondogg calls, EP2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls

<font color="blue"> Figured with all the callers, I was getting enough odds. Was this right? </font>

Flop(12 SB): 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif

<font color="blue"> With the late position PF raiser, I figured this was the perfect spot for a checkraise. Should I have bet right out looking to 3bet? </font>

moondogg checks, EP2 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO bets, Button calls, moondogg raises, EP2 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO 3-bets, Button calls, moondogg caps, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls

<font color="blue"> Figure at this point, with all the coldcalling, there has to be a flush draw or two out there </font>

Turn(20 BB): 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif
<font color="blue"> D'oh, well let's see where we're at... </font>
moondogg bets, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls

<font color="blue"> Odd, thought I'd get raised there. What the hell is going on? </font>

River(24 BB): 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

<font color="blue"> Well, I'll call if someone bets, but I won't like it. </font>

moondogg checks, MP3 checks, Button checks

Results in white: <font color="white"> I show my set, the rest muck, and MHIG. Looking back, I'm guessing they had 2 pair or an overpair.

</font>
<font color="blue"> Was betting turn a mistake? Or, should I bet out on the river? </font>

Thanks,
Mooney

bisonbison
02-05-2004, 08:34 PM
You have an easy call preflop. You're in the BB, you're getting at least 7-1 already.

I'd bet the flop and hope to get raised so I could 3 bet, then bet the turn.

Since you bet the turn and just got called, why check the river? No one is telling you they have the flush.

You missed at least 1 bet on the end.

Trix
02-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Agree

moondogg
02-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Thanks Trix and bison.
I tend to slow down too much on the river; I was pretty sure someone had to have a flush. I know I'm just seeing monsters under the bed, but the whole "best hand when you're called" thing has really screwed up my river play. I keep forgetting what some folks will call with.

I know, I know.
Bet the river.
Bet the river.
Bet the river.

bisonbison
02-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Think of it this way: The life goal and secret wish of every calling station is to call bets. You must help them achieve that goal. By betting. On the river. With a great hand.

HajiShirazu
02-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Sometimes I think the "bet the river" thing might be taken a little too far. However this is not one of those cases.
Bet the river.

Mike Gallo
02-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Dogg,

Preflop, easy call.

Bet the flop and hope to check raised. Do not slow play with a flush on board.

Good bet on the turn.

If nobody raised the turn, you could have safely bet the river.