PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Pairs on the Button

EasyGoer
02-05-2004, 02:53 PM
20-40 at Lucky Chances. It's the tightest 20-40 I have played in about 2 months but still a playable game.

All fold to 2 off the button who raises. Raiser is a solid player not particularly tricky. Folded to me on the button with 88. I fold. Do you raise, fold or flat call. Additionally, please comment on how you would play smaller pairs in the same scenario (I would have re-raised with 99 or larger).

Vehn
02-05-2004, 02:55 PM
I would usually 3-bet with 66 and higher here in the situation as described.

bomblade
02-05-2004, 03:00 PM
I would 3 bet pretty regularly. I'll assume this is a full-ten player table, so they'll in 8th position. Any hand they'll play, they'll raise with. You should be a little confident you have the best hand preflop. Plus, with position, you have a lot of options post-flop. It's also an easy hand to get rid of post-flop if the board isn't to your liking.

SoBeDude
02-05-2004, 03:00 PM
I'm with Vehn.

I think this is a great place for a 3-bet to isolate a player who may be raising light due to his position.

-Scott

DiamondDave
02-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Since only the raiser is in, I think a 3-bet is a good play if you think you can get it heads-up. More often than not he'll have unpaired cards and you'll be ahead.

If one or both of the blinds are going to see the flop no matter what, folding is maybe better. 88 kinda sucks in a pot contested by 3-4 players.

Calling is the worst of the three choices, IMO.