PDA

View Full Version : AJ suited first hand in game

Vee Quiva
02-05-2004, 01:25 PM
hero is mp and posting blind to enter game 2-4 Party with 8 players.
Dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
utg folds, I check, mp 2 folds, mp3 calls, RIP raises to 4, button folds, small blind completes, big blind calls.
5 to flop for $20.
Flop is 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Checked to preflop raiser who bets, everyone calls. Pot now $30.
Turn J /images/graemlins/club.gif
check, check, I check (looking for check raise), check, button bets $4. fold, fold, to me I raise to $8, fold, button reraises to $12. I call.
Pot is $54.
River is 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
I check call it down.

I am wondering if this is a bad call after the reraise. At the time he could have over cards or a high pair. I have no reads on anyone since I just came into the game.
Results below

Button turns over K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif my Jacks are good.

Comments anyone?

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
02-05-2004, 01:35 PM
I would have waited two more hands to post, and posted in the big blind.

On the flop, I think you should fold...I don't think you have odds to chase here with backdoor flush/overcards. You may be drawing extremely thin or dead to AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AK/AQ, and you're 15:1 against making your backdoor flush by the river. Given that you're there on the turn, I would bet and call a raise and then check/call the river. You are still quite possibly behind here.

lil'
02-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Gaaak. It's bad enough you post in MP, then you get a nice hand and you don't raise it. Raise preflop!!! It would make your decision to fold or call the turn later in the hand much easier. I would suspect you are beaten much of the time when the hand is finished, as most people don't go three bets on the turn with a hand you can beat.

el_grande
02-05-2004, 02:33 PM
I disagree about folding on the flop. This is a fairly large pot, you have two overcards and a backdoor nut flush.

Once the turn is raised you are often against two pair from somebody who plays junk, but you could also be against a smaller jack so it's pretty straightforward to call down.

Louie Landale
02-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Lets not waste 90% of $2 by posting in MP. Wait a couple hands.

I guess not raising PF is OK. Don't get cute and 3-bet.

You have no particular reason to over-call ON the flop. You may be getting 13:1 for your 7:1 over-card+back-door draw, but you are STILL going to lose quite often against 4 players even when you DO hit. Its may not be a "terrible" call but its certainly not a "routine" one. Generally, fold right away when you miss the flop.

Check-raising only makes sense against aggressive folks. Almost every body will check AK or KQ on the turn and rightfully so against 3 opponents. A whole bunch will also check a pair of TT, with reasonable justification. Facing the table with two bets on the turn is NOT twice as profitable as facing them with one; since your hand is still vulnerable; and of course you can get 3-bet. Since you have no idea how aggressive he is (you just sat down), I'd say bet out your Jacks.

Paying off makes more sense than check-raising the turn.

Make an actual "note" about this player being rediculously aggressive once he raises PF. Correlate that with future hands.

- Louie

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
02-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Whoops...for some reason I divided that $26 by $4 instead of $2. Getting 13:1, this hand is worth a look at the turn.

And yes, raise preflop.