PDA

View Full Version : LA Times Articles

El Dukie
02-05-2004, 11:35 AM
The cover story in the Calendar Section of today's L.A. Times is an article on the surge in popularity of Hold'em. It's accompanied by an article on the popularity of poker on TV, in books, and poker tournaments.

The link is attached, but you may have to register to read the content....
LA Times (http://latimes.com)

unome
02-05-2004, 06:01 PM
I saw the article at lunch today. Not much new in it except to once again stress how big poker is becoming. Regardless, I love to see the media covering the game because it can only help in bringing new players to the game we all love. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

_And1_
02-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Anyone that have access to the latime care to make a quick review or post on the article, in a somewhat more extensive way than the posts have done so far?

unome
02-06-2004, 02:25 PM
To be honest, it really doesn't say all that much. A guy new to poker decided to visit a handfull of local LA card clubs and try his hand at a few hold em ring games. He plays for about 20 minutes at a insructional table before moving on to a 3/6 game. I thought that the way the author was talking about it, he made it sound like super high stakes (for a journalist, it probably was. /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

There was another article going over the boom of poker on television and talked about Helmuth doing an instructional video among other things.

As I said in the earlier post, I think the article is best looked at as yet another example of how Poker has gone main stream. My only hope is that the boom continues and brings new players not so much to tourney play, but the ring games.

Overall, I felt the article told the average poker enthusist (i.e. 2+2ers) nothing new.