PDA

View Full Version : Legends WPT Program

Kinli
02-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Hi, All /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Am I the only one, or did we see some truly exceptional play on the WPT last night?

Maybe my opinion's been skewed by watching those Hollywood Home games, but last night it seemed to me we were watching some really fine players using some really fine psychology in the game. I think it was one of the best games ever on WPT.

Kinli

unfrgvn
02-05-2004, 11:26 AM
I thought it was one of the more interesting shows ever, not sure it was the best poker ever. I thought the interesting element was watching the dot com guy against TJ and Mel, he never seemed to know where he was in a hand. I hated to see him catch the river 7 against TJ's jacks, I would have liked to see Mel and TJ heads up. It was very interesting.

Utah
02-05-2004, 11:31 AM
TJ was freaking awesome. His immediate calls on big allin bets was amazing. TJ outplayed the other guys and he had the best of it every time. Again, he gets unlucky.

The QQ hand was really cool. I wonder if TJ knew that Paul had an overpair and that if he made that 200,000 bet that Paul couldn't stand the heat.

Pauls call on the last hand was absolutely terrible. He calls all in on a hand that at best he will split. Mel goes all-in on a small pot and thus overbets it a ton. His 7 was as obvious as it gets. No way he was bluffing.

Unfortunately, the announcers still suck.

Utah
02-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Dont forget that TJ had Mel dead until Mel sucked out on the last card.

That suckout cost TJ 150,000. The 7 suckout cost TJ 150,000 as well and would have made him a favorite for 600,000. Maybe I wouldn't get so ticked next time I get suckout on in a $50 SNG /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wonder if they made a deal? However, I doubt it because Paul didnt care about the money and I dont believe TJ likes deals.

CrisBrown
02-05-2004, 12:30 PM
Hi Utah,

Paul and Mel chopped it. I guess one of them came out and said so in an article in SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, which caused a the WPT producers to ban deals altogether. There was some talk about this, and references, in the MTT forum's thread about the WPT action clock.

I don't like that, as I've more than once been heads-up, with roughly even stacks and huge blinds, and offered to chop rather than turn 1st and 2nd place over to Lady Luck. But apparently the WPT wants there to be competition right through to the final hand, and typically when players have made deals that doesn't happen.

In all honesty, I think that's why Paul called Mel's all-in bet at the end; they'd already agreed to the chop, so why not go out in a blaze of glory?

BTW, did anyone else notice that they never mentioned that tournament giving a seat at the year-end championship? I'm wondering if that's because they had made a deal on it.

Cris

CrisBrown
02-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Hi unfrgvn,

Yes, last night's broadcast obviously proved that the cards dealt in WPT broadcasts are generated online by RiverStars, or is it UltimateBullsh*t, or PartyPooper....

Or maybe ... just maybe ... the cards that come off online are not so different from what happens in B&M tournaments, and people just like to blame the computer....

Cris

Utah
02-05-2004, 12:37 PM
HA!

I try telling myself that everytime some fish hits runner runner to knock me out /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Utah
02-05-2004, 12:42 PM
What is the MTT forum? I dont see it.

Too bad TJ was left out of the deal. It just seems that bad luck has followed him since Jesus spiked the 9 on the river to with the World Series of Poker.

That puts the allin call in perspective.

Is the WPT adding money to the tourney? If not, the players should be able to do whatever they want with the money. My two cents.

SossMan
02-05-2004, 01:51 PM

CrisBrown
02-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Hi Utah,

[ QUOTE ]
What is the MTT forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. Multi-table Tournaments forum ... the one from which this was spawned.

Cris

ThaSaltCracka
02-05-2004, 01:55 PM
did anyone think that Paul had some of the worst poker etiquette ever?
I really did not like him, I mean he made the final table which shows he is good, but he did not look it at the final table.

SossMan
02-05-2004, 02:00 PM
I know that it's "bad etiquette" to verbally state your hand, and some tournament directors will even claim that it's a dead hand. Head's up, however, I don't get this. I can understand when there are other players left (even if they are not in the hand) that this can influence the outcome and thus effect a 3rd player, but when it's the final two why can't you verbally state your hand, or even show one card to an opponent to try and elicit a reaction. I think it makes it more interesting. Who is it hurting?

ThaSaltCracka
02-05-2004, 02:05 PM
well not just that, what about him showing his bluff to the entire audience? that is a slap in the face, so I liked it when Mel did it to him later.

wayabvpar
02-05-2004, 02:46 PM
I sat through it twice, but was playing online at the same time, and so only absorbed a bit of it. From what I saw, TJ played his ass off and the deck just kept kicking him in the teeth. I remember when I first saw TJ, I didn't like him (he seemed really gruff and arrogant). After seeing more of him and reading "Positively 5th Street", he has become one of my many favorites to watch. The guy is a damned good player, and is always graceful when he (inevitably, it seems) gets knocked out.

Maybe karma will send a bracelet his way come May. Lord knows the man deserves one.

Kinli
02-05-2004, 02:55 PM
Like a lot of you, I really wish TJ had won. He played outstandingly. He absolutely outplayed "Dotcom." I enjoyed having the chance to watch TJ play at length, and learned an awful lot just from watching him.

Kinli, who thinks the world outght to look out, cuz she's learning. /images/graemlins/wink.gif