PDA

View Full Version : Beginner questions/Hand help UB 6 max

Demian
02-05-2004, 07:09 AM
I'm new here, so i apologize in advance if i'm not posting these questions in the right place. Seems most hands posted here are at higher limits than i play, but i've been following some of the threads and hope that the principles of play at the six max games discussed here will also apply to smaller limits.

On to my questions/hands:

Hand 1
UB Six max .25/.50
(4 seated for this hand)

UTG w/ JhTh, I raise.
Button folds, SB and BB both call.

Flop: Jc 6s 7d

SB bets, BB folds, I raise, SB calls.

Turn: Jc 6s 7d 5s

BB checks, I bet, BB calls.

River: Jc 6s 7d 5s 4s

BB checks, I check.

My question here is whether or not i should have bet on the end. If so, what's the reasoning behind it? And if you do bet, do you fold to a raise? What if i had been check-raised on the turn? Do i call 2 more big bets to see a showdown with this hand?

Hand 2
UB Six max .25/.50

UTG folds, I raise w/ AdJs, CO calls, button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 6s 6c 5s

SB bets, I call, CO folds.

Turn: 6s 6c 5s 9d

SB bets, i call

River: 6s 6c 5s 9d Qs

SB checks, I check

Obviously, in retrospect i think i played this hand terribly. I've only been playing about a month now and i'm still having a hard time balancing aggressive pre-flop play with proper play afterwards, particularly when it gets heads up. The amount of bluffing at these tables combined with the tendency of most players to call down with anything paired makes it difficult for me to figure out when to give the hand up. In this case i figured the SB for a bluff (due to his betting out first on the paired board and his probably putting me on overcards with my pre-flop raise) but lacked the confidence to do anything about it and ended up just calling down all the way (just like i complain when others do to me and catch their overcard.) I know this is weak play but what i'd like to know is how to deal with this situation since some variation of it comes up very often shorthanded. ie. showing strength pre-flop, then not hitting the flop but not wanting to just hand the pot to the other player but also not wanting to pay them off for their paired 4 (or whatever) that they will call all the way down with.

Maybe this seems very simple to many of you here. In fact i hope that it does, because i would very much like to hear your feedback and learn something that i am paying too much for at the tables yet still not seeing.

Thank you in advance for any insight.

D

stripsqueez
02-05-2004, 09:02 AM
i like 1 - i would bet the river but check isnt terrible - he will call with a smaller pair and that is a reasonably common holding for a bad player - he may have something silly like AQo

if your check raised on the turn you have to choose - i would likely call him down - lots of draws on the board for him to be bluffing with

it shouldnt happen often that you bet the river for value as you would be doing on this hand and fold to a raise

2 - raise the flop or turn or fold the flop - in terms of frequency they would be in order against a usual opponent that i suspect you come across - ideally you would find the answer from what you have seen of your opponent to date

welcome to the forum - no limit snobs here that i know of

stripsqueez - chickenhawk