PDA

View Full Version : Top pair v. superaggro and calling stations Party 5/10 6-max

Ulysses
02-05-2004, 12:22 AM
UTG (normal) calls. I raise w/ Ah8h. Loose/bad calling station CO calls. Similarly bad Button calls. SB calls. Superaggro BB 3-bets. This narrows his holdings to a pair, two card of the same suit, two high cards, an Ace, or two cards that he likes. UTG calls. The rest of us call. Six of six to the flop for three bets.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ 6d, 7s, As ]

SB checks. Aggro BB bets. This is an auto-bet. UTG calls. I raise. CO calls. Button, SB fold. BB 3-bets. This means he has something. Probably either an Ace or a flush draw. UTG calls. I 4-bet. CO calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 9c ]

SB checks. UTG checks. I check. CO checks.

** Dealing River ** : [ 8d ]

SB checks. UTG checks. I bet.

What do you think? I thought it was kind of interesting.

stripsqueez
02-05-2004, 04:27 AM
i might fold pre-flop

i could haggle about the flop betting but it seems ok to me - presumably a primary reason for the cap was to lose the cutoff ? - it seems that way because you took the free card on the turn and that would of been a dangerous plan if you werent last

i would of bet the turn and checked the river - the river is close - were you folding to a raise ?

its a dangerous call but - perhaps you should pay these guys some respect - not a lot - just a little

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

James282
02-05-2004, 04:48 AM
I really like both the cap-free card and the value bet. I don't think you need to be worried about a check-raise from these players, although the BB did check-three bet the flop.

Would you have checked the turn if you didn't pick up 8 more outs?
-James

Ikke
02-05-2004, 05:54 AM
Love your flopplay, but I think you missed an important turnbet.

I gather from your post that BB was aggro and was in the whole hand, and not the SB (probably mixed that up in your post). Well, anyway, BB isnt likely to check-raise you on the turn, because he would bet out rather then check-raise his strong hands because of the presence of the flush- and straightdraws. UTG seems to be drawing and only CO might be slowplaying here. But you wouldnt mind him raising too much, because you increase your chances of winning this huge pot (he might drive out a better ace, gutshots etc if he raises, and I would gladly pay the one extra bet, even if he has me beat with two pair or something (giving me extra outs if he makes a better ace fold)).

So you shouldnt fear a raise here, and if raised, the likely raiser will be CO which you wouldnt mind much. And if he doesnt raise, you will often have a free river if you want to.

You riverbet is a bit close, because you surely aint folding for one more bet (one exeption might be some overcalls of a raise, but generally you have to get to showdown). But I do think you have the best hand and will be payed off loosely. Beginning to like the bet. Why not put one more bet in the ocean and let the waves swell a little.

Regards

zamora
02-05-2004, 08:14 AM
i read your posts and realize that i have so much to learn.

not long ago i played some microlimit heads-up and my weak tight opponent constantly whined about how much luck i had since i was betting or raising pretty much every hand.

finally, i couldn't take it any more so i typed in "hey man, you play like a scared little girl".

when reading about your game i realize that i am a scared little...hmm boy.

if the poster would not be Ulysses (or any of the other frequent contributors to this forum), i would say that the hand was absurdily (is that a word?) overplayed.

but i guess that this is the way to crush 5-10 6-max. no wonder i had such a depressing january.

i would have folded preflop, called the flop, checked the turn and checked the river.

daniel

Vazh
02-05-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm curious to know what you would have done if you had been bet into on the turn after the flop cap.

James282
02-05-2004, 02:24 PM
He would pretty much have to flat-call, but the river becomes a little more interesting.
-James

Ulysses
02-05-2004, 02:49 PM

Ulysses
02-05-2004, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i could haggle about the flop betting but it seems ok to me - presumably a primary reason for the cap was to lose the cutoff ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to both lose the cutoff and perhaps take a free card.

[ QUOTE ]
i would of bet the turn and checked the river - the river is close - were you folding to a raise ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't want to get checkraised by BB on the turn and I wasn't sure that I had CO beat at that point.

I would fold to a river raise from CO. I would call a river checkraise by BB.

[ QUOTE ]
its a dangerous call but - perhaps you should pay these guys some respect - not a lot - just a little

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. A few players at one of the other tables I was playing this session deserved some respect, but not these clowns. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ulysses
02-05-2004, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you need to be worried about a check-raise from these players, although the BB did check-three bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, BB was very capable of a checkraise.

[ QUOTE ]
Would you have checked the turn if you didn't pick up 8 more outs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not positive, but I would have been much more likely to bet.

Ulysses
02-05-2004, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, anyway, BB isnt likely to check-raise you on the turn, because he would bet out rather then check-raise his strong hands because of the presence of the flush- and straightdraws.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're giving too much credit to BB. His thought process would simply be "I have big hand, I checkraise!"

[ QUOTE ]
But you wouldnt mind him (CO) raising too much, because you increase your chances of winning this huge pot

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not going to raise me w/ a worse hand. And no better Aces are folding to a raise. So, the only time this really helps me is if he raises w/ two pair, drives out a gutshot, and I make trips or a better two pair. And betting also gives BB the chance to checkraise.

Ulysses
02-05-2004, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious to know what you would have done if you had been bet into on the turn after the flop cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call.

Ulysses
02-05-2004, 03:06 PM
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 6d, 7s, As ]
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 9c ]
** Dealing River ** : [ 8d ]

SB checks. UTG checks. I bet. CO calls. BB calls.

My two pair comes in third place to CO's 5h9h and BB's 66.

daryn
02-05-2004, 04:50 PM
ulysses what are you doing slumming down in the 5-10's? serious question by the way

Ulysses
02-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Why I'm playing 5/10 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=505163&page=1&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

I've just been playing like crap lately and tilting far too much. Main problem has been very sloppy play combined w/ playing on auto-pilot rather than paying any attention to my opponents. This is all a function of being pretty bored w/ online poker.

I decided to take a little break in 5/10 as an exercise in discipline to see if I could re-focus my online game.