PDA

View Full Version : Do you call?

kiemo
02-04-2004, 11:46 PM
9 players left in this tournament. Only the 5th hand though of tourny and nobody really has a chip lead

Blinds are 10/20
I am in BB and dealt 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG, EP2, MP2, CO,SB call. I check

($120) 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, I check, UTG bets 160. All fold. I call

($440) Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet $40, UTG raises all in ($740)

I have $640 left do I call?

Results: <font color="white">I called and lost. UTG limped in preflop with AA. </font>

ravenight
02-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Hmm. I probably fold here, but I think I would have gone all-in on the flop. A 680 raise with 440 in the pot is tough to call with a flush draw, and it is very difficult to fold your set to a strong bet on the turn in this situation, so you are really only saving money when your opponent would check after a blank on the turn and no spade falls. I'd be more inclined to shut out the flush draw, since I'm probably in trouble against a made flush and I don't like handing my opponents good bluffing opportunities.

If you are going to just call on the flop, I think it has to be with the intention of folding to a strong bet on the turn.

Kurn, son of Mogh
02-05-2004, 09:42 AM
If you're going to even consider calling off 85% of your chips on the turn when a non-flush card hits that doesn't pair the board, you're better off check-raising the flop all-in.

The Prince
02-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Hi,

I'm not a big fan of the way you played it.

What is your read on the flop? Does he have the flush, or not?

With 280 in the pot, your should have made your decision right there and pushed all-in. Chances are that he does not have the flush.

kiemo
02-05-2004, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

I'm not a big fan of the way you played it.

What is your read on the flop? Does he have the flush, or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasnt a big fan of the way I played it either!

My intial read on the flop was to check-raise, becuase I didnt immediately see the flush draw. When UTG raised, everyone folded pretty quick and I didnt have much time to think, hence the call.

On the turn, I did not think he had the flush, rather I had him a pair of aces. I bet a small amount hoping UTG would raise and then I would take him all-in, or he would call and I would take him all-in on the river. When he came over the top on me I really didnt know what to do and time wasnt on my side.

I guess my main question should've been, You are 100% sure your opponent doesnt have a flush (lets say the flop was same cards, but rainbow suit), is it an automatic call then with your low set?

The Prince
02-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Hi,

yeah you have to call. There's no way you can know for sure if he has a flush or a higher set. And chances are that's not what he has. And if you had you're 100% sure he does not have the flush, then better. Hey, if he does have a higher set, then good for him. Set over set is pretty rare, and you are likely to go broke when you are on the lower set. But considering all the possible hands he can have, your set is a strong favorite.