PDA

View Full Version : Throwing AA Away?

Chris Daddy Cool
02-04-2004, 10:28 PM
I know Skalansky wrote about how it'd be smart to throw AA away in the final table of the tournament if someone is about to go broke so you'd have a higher pay out based on finishing higher, but I was wondering if there'd be any situation where you would throw AA away in a live regular game?

Say you're at a NL table against 4 complete maniacs you know you're obviously better than who suddenly decide to go all-in on you while holding AA. you could call the all-in hoping someone doesn't catch a miracle flop and win all their money right there... or you could fold that particular hand and just grind it out and win their money over the course of the night rather than that one hand? which would you do?

Redhot_man
02-04-2004, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know Skalansky wrote about how it'd be smart to throw AA away in the final table of the tournament if someone is about to go broke so you'd have a higher pay out based on finishing higher, but I was wondering if there'd be any situation where you would throw AA away in a live regular game?

Say you're at a NL table against 4 complete maniacs you know you're obviously better than who suddenly decide to go all-in on you while holding AA. you could call the all-in hoping someone doesn't catch a miracle flop and win all their money right there... or you could fold that particular hand and just grind it out and win their money over the course of the night rather than that one hand? which would you do?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why couldnt you just get more money if you lose that particualr hand?

spacemonkey
02-04-2004, 10:42 PM
No, in a cash game it is a positive EV play to put all your money preflop with the best hand, no matter how many callers. You are the favourite and you will make money in the long run. Unless you are playing with money you can't afford to lose, in which case you shouldn't be in the game to start with. Tournaments are different in that if you lose one of those times with AA you bust out, and the gain is not proportional to the number of chips, but to the number of other opponents eliminated.

tewall
02-04-2004, 10:50 PM
AA is such a strong favorite heads up pre-flop, it's hard to see throwing it away. I could see throwing it away on the flop, however, even if the money were shallow, if you were playing a weak-tight passive player who suddently showed strength on the flop.

The problem throwing it away pre-flop is that even if you're way better than you're opponents, it's difficult to get into a situation that's more +EV than what aces are.

Acesover8s
02-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Call, and run it as many times as they'll agree to.

Bring more cash, rinse and repeat.

crockpot
02-04-2004, 10:59 PM
against the worst players in the world, and if i had no money left in my pocket, i would still call here. if you can't afford to go all-in with aces, you either didn't bring enough money with you or you can't afford to play in the game.

X-Calibre
02-05-2004, 01:33 PM
no hand plays better against multiple opponents than AA. It the best hand period, 8 callers or 1.

_And1_
02-05-2004, 07:27 PM
True. Your own chances of winning the hand with AA goes down as the opponents multiplies, but you are still the biggest favorite to win the hand, way bigger than any other hand. It's +EV.

jomatty
02-06-2004, 12:37 AM
the only possiblility would be if you had youre case money on the table and were against very very poor players. that said i could never and would never do it and god willing wont have my entire bankroll on the table in a nolimit game.
interesting though
gl
matty