PDA

View Full Version : What is your river action?

chesspain
02-04-2004, 09:43 PM
TGC...fairly fishy table; close to 50% seeing the flop...

I'm in LP, and dealt A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Folded to me and I raise, folded to the blinds, who both call...

J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to me and I bet, both blinds call.

[J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to me and I check it through.

[J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] A /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets, BB folds...do you:

1) Fold?
2) Call?
3) Raise and call a three-bet?
4) Raise and fold to a three-bet?

Results to follow...

Trix
02-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Call I think, but this one is hard

taxat
02-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Raise and call a three-bet.

thirddan
02-04-2004, 11:09 PM
I would raise and call a 3bet

SB could have a smaller A than you or could be betting a busted draw or could be betting simply because you checked the turn... only real fear is that he was gonna c/r you on the turn but is unlikely

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 11:40 PM
Call your opponent missed his check raise on the turn when he hit his flush.

I do not think you have the best hand, however you still need to call.

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Raise and call a three-bet.

Why do you say this?

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 11:45 PM
I would raise and call a 3bet

You have that much confidence in your rivered top pair top kicker?

If you raise and your opponent folds, you have gained nothing and if you raise and your opponents reraises and you call you have lost an extra 2 bets.

You opponent most likely has AJ or a flush.

thirddan
02-04-2004, 11:57 PM
i think AJ is unlikely...most players will bet into a raiser with top pair figuring them for AK...while i think a flush is possible it is not the only thing that SB could have...if he has a smaller A or smaller pair he will likely call your raise...i suppose the best answer would be that it depends on player, but i think a raise is not horrible here although calling is safer

Mike Gallo
02-05-2004, 12:23 AM
i suppose the best answer would be that it depends on player, but i think a raise is not horrible here although calling is safer

Spot on answer /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thirddan
02-05-2004, 12:41 AM
haha, im learning it just takes me a couple times /images/graemlins/smile.gif

aas
02-05-2004, 01:14 AM
I don't think he has a J. I think he has A2 or A8, and he's the type of player how doesn't fold an A. I would still call his bet.

aas.

chesspain
02-05-2004, 01:18 AM
SB showed Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif for the flush!

Good read MG.

BTW, I raised and called a three-bet /images/graemlins/frown.gif

JTG51
02-05-2004, 01:26 AM
Just call. It's fairly close between calling and raising, but if you raise it should probably be with the intention of folding to a 3-bet.

Keep in mind that the way you've played the hand before the river looks a whole lot like a big Ace to your opponents. I know many of them aren't even trying to put you on a hand, but many will at least think enough to realize that you probably have an Ace, and only the nuttiest of nuts would 3-bet the river with one pair.

Mike Gallo
02-05-2004, 09:58 AM
SB showed Q T for the flush!

He flopped a flush draw and a gut gut shot straight draw.

I consider the Ace worst card in the deck for you to hit.

He counted on you to bet the turn. You raised preflop, you bet the flop. He figured you would bet. Instead he checked and attempted to check raise you. You checked behind. You hit the Ace he bet you raised he reraised you called. By checking he still gained that bet back.

Good read MG.

I have been known to do that once in a while. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

taxat
02-05-2004, 11:02 PM
I put him on a J, KJ or QJ. I thought he was taking a stab on the river since 1) the turn was checked around and 2) there are open-raising hands without an Ace, so the Ace was both not scary for him and a good scare care to use.

I should have realized that the opponent won the pot since "Raise and stack his chips" wasn't an option.

[ QUOTE ]
I do not think you have the best hand, however you still need to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you pay off? What good is a read if you don't use it?

Mike Gallo
02-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Why do you pay off? What good is a read if you don't use it?

Pot odds and I did not play in the game. Had I played live and I felt I had a solid handle on this players line of play I would fold.

I thought he was taking a stab on the river since 1) the turn was checked around and 2) there are open-raising hands without an Ace, so the Ace was both not scary for him and a good scare care to use.

When the villain bet the river hero failed to think backwards. Had he thought backwards he would have seen that villain hit his flush on the turn and went for a check raise.

I think villian played this hand well.

Trix
02-05-2004, 11:17 PM

brian0729
02-05-2004, 11:30 PM
Im calling and not liking it much. I think a raise just folds a worse hand and gets you three bet by a better hand. Just my $.02 and I think JTG nailed it as usual.

chesspain
02-06-2004, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When the villain bet the river hero failed to think backwards. Had he thought backwards he would have seen that villain hit his flush on the turn and went for a check raise.

I think villian played this hand well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whereas I admit that I did not realize until my river action that may opponent could have turned the flush, I'm surprised that you thought that my opponent played this hand well, since:

1) He called 1.5 bets from the SB with an easily dominated hand, from a player who was not likely stealing, since I was two spots away from the button. Although my foolish raise on the river allowed him to win two extra bets, it would seem that in general the implied odds are not high enough to make this a correct call pre-flop.

2) He went for a checkraise on the turn even though that third heart was going to likely freeze up any overcard hand from betting again. Furthermore, not betting the turn allowed his opponents a chance to redraw to a higher flush for free if the river brought the fourth heart.

In conclusion, I did not put my opponent on the "well-played" missed turn checkraise since I did not imagine that he had called pre-flop and then chased with a flush draw. Given the level of play of these tables, I thought he could easily have had a hand like any Ax. Actually, although this was likely my blind spot, when I raised on the river I thought it was more likely I was going to lose to a rivered two-pair (rather than to the flush).