PDA

View Full Version : OESD to the nuts - Should I have slowed down?

Warik
02-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 (9 handed)
Hero has K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is MP2

Hero limps, MP3 limps, Button folds, SB limps, BB checks

Flop(4 SB): 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, MP3 folds, SB folds, BB raises, Hero 3-bets, BB caps, Hero calls

Turn(8 BB): 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB bets, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, Hero calls

River(14 BB): 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB bets, Hero calls

Results: <font color="white">I thought he was looking for the straight as well, so I called his bet hoping to beat him with high card. BB flopped top two pair and destroyed me.</font>

bisonbison
02-04-2004, 08:03 PM
With a small pot that gets heads-up on the flop, I think I would have bet-called the flop, called the turn and folded the river.

Trix
02-04-2004, 08:14 PM
Call BBs flop raise and call down from that point, Jamming with a draw heads up with an opponent that arent likely to fold isnt good.

chesspain
02-04-2004, 08:25 PM
I agree with Trix and the Bison. Once you've been checkraised by BB, and you're heads-up: you are obviously the underdog, you will not be getting any free cards, and you may well have to hit your straight to win, meaning that there is no value in putting any unnecessary bets into this pot.

Consequently, call the flop checkraise, call the turn, and fold the river if you don't improve.

P.S. Why did you think he was also going for a straight? Since he saw the flop for free, his flop action screams "two-pair!"

jhanrahan
02-04-2004, 08:37 PM
i think you should have got out of there. you needed to catch one of four aces, four nines or three kings. 11 outs is about 1.5 to 1. before all that raising started happening you had 2-1 pot odds, not great. then all that raising mess pushed the final pot odds to 14-8 or 1.75-1. you are BARELY getting the technically required pot odds. plus with playing heads i would want a pair or something. a draw requires more players in the pot.

Joe Tall
02-04-2004, 08:47 PM
I'd raise preflop if folded to here, but limping is fine.

Call the flop check-raise, you'll have a better chance getting a BB out of him if you make your draw on a later street.

I have no idea why you are rasing the turn ans surely you can fold the river.

Peace,
Joe Tall

eh923
02-04-2004, 09:16 PM
"Should I have slowed down?"
Answer: Yes

You could've also asked, "Was this the worst-played hand ever?"
The answer is the same. I can ALMOST see the macho need to pound at a draw heads up...but how the f*ck can you call on the river with King high?

bernie
02-04-2004, 10:05 PM
im calling his flop c/r. everyone folded so it's not really a drawing c/r. he will usually have a made hand here.

id only call the turn not raise. his bet means he's not drawing.

im folding the river.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought he was looking for the straight as well, so I called his bet hoping to beat him with high card. BB flopped top two pair and destroyed me.

[/ QUOTE ]

what str8 draw do you think he had that you could 'beat' with high card? id study hand reading a bit. he told you from the flop to the river that he had you beat. what more do you need? ya want him to turn his cards over and show ya? ooops. he did do that.

b

Warik
02-05-2004, 12:06 AM
The river play was a display of pure idiocy but I was clearly into the realm of maniac play on the flop and turn. I think I confused "betting for value" with "ramming and jamming a made hand"

I won't make that mistake again.