PDA

View Full Version : Getting picked off

kingstalker
02-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Paradise 5+0
I have 1400 in chips
Blinds 75/150
Im in LP with /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5
4 limpers+plus the SB and BB money in the pot (800)
I move all in and everybody folds except for a guy in LP,
he types in the chat box"U got A-A?" and calls time and eventually calls with A-9.Immedetely everybody at the table calls me a moron and a dope and my opponet evens types "What what you thinking?" I dont think anybody considered I was making a move to pick up the dead money in the pot, anybody esle make this kinda play? My opponet hit a ace on the flop to win the hand.

Grivan
02-04-2004, 08:04 PM
I don't like this play mainly because I think a vast majority of the time at least one of the limpers is going to call you, and when they do they will defenatly be a favorite over your hand.

tpir90036
02-05-2004, 12:48 AM
lots of people have made this play lots of times. calling is defintely out of the question as you hand is not that hot and it would be more than 10% of your stack and a decent sized steal-raise would be almost 40% of your stack so a push is not out of the question....

*however*, you failed to mention the stack sizes of the limpers. knowing if they are loose players who like to gamble it up with crappy aces is useful too. this play works better against medium stacks who might not feel like taking the risk at this point. a short stack might be more willing to take a chance at doubling up...and the same goes for a large stack who won't be seriously hurt by racing you with a pocket pair or an ace-decent kicker.

if you are going to make this play i think it's better to at least have a pair or some sort of high card strength to fall back on if you get called. even something as crappy as K9 is good enough, unless you have a great read on the situation and know that there is a decent chance you won't be called...in that case you don't even have to look at your cards.

just my 2 cents,
-tpir

Cosimo
02-05-2004, 03:03 AM
No sane player will call all-in with A9 when there's still dead money at the table; throw that BB away and wait for the next hand.

That's the important point here: $5 MTT's don't have a lot of sane players.

eastbay
02-05-2004, 03:30 AM
In a $5 SnG? Never.

eastbay

kingstalker
02-05-2004, 03:46 AM
I forgot to mention I just had moved in with K-K a few hands before and showed it to the table when the prelop limpers folded, so I was thinking my raise would get respect, also though the guy who called me had about 4000 in chips so I guess he figured he could gamble.

Grivan
02-05-2004, 04:24 AM
From my experience most of the players in a $5 tournament aren't even watching the table.

rbenuck4
02-05-2004, 01:37 PM
" if you are going to make this play i think it's better to at least have a pair or some sort of high card strength to fall back on if you get called. even something as crappy as K9 is good enough "

I disagree with this. If you get a caller with this type of play, there is a very good chance that you are a severe dog if you make this play with K9 or Ax, cause they very well might be calling with a strong king or a strong ace, in which case you are dead to 3 outs. Going up against a strong ace with 7 5, you aren't a terrible dog (2 to 1), and i think the low suited connectors are definately the best type of hands to make this play with, cause if the board comes out low, you very well might win the hand. I like moving in here with a small pair for other reasons. If I get a caller there is a very good chance that we will just be at a coin flip, which I will definately take.

Overall however, I think this play is stronger if there were fewer limpers (one or two at most), becuase you still don't want callers, and with that many limpers, there is a very good chance to get a caller.

wayabvpar
02-05-2004, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My opponet hit a ace on the flop to win the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't need to hit anything; you were behind from the moment he called. The A just sealed your fate a bit quicker /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scooterdoo
02-05-2004, 03:19 PM
I disagree. If you were going to make the play much better in my opinion to have at least one higher card and perhaps two. The likely hands to call you, unless they are severely short-stacked or have you covered by a large margin, would be an Ax or any pair, probably lower than 99 otherwise they wouldn't be limping. Sure you might get called by KQs, but this is less likely. So if you have a high card at least you have at least one overcard to their pair and perhaps two AND you are not faced with two possible overcards to your two cards.

I don't like the play at all by the way. You can accomplish the same thing with a decent raise without risking the entire tournament on it. Sure the all-in gives your opponents more to think about but a few hundred chip raise should give them a similar decision. I will do this sometimes on a semi-bluff once the board comes out if I have a strong sense that my opponents are playing weak or they are afraid of me.

daryn
02-05-2004, 04:00 PM
it seems as though you misspelled the word "opponent" as "opponet" here.

i bring this up because of an old post, one of your first ones, where you misspelled this word while also trying to make fun of an "opponent" of yours. the thread evolved and a good laugh was had by most.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=372427&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&vc=1