PDA

View Full Version : UTG Q's

CaliQ
02-04-2004, 06:55 PM
I think I played this hand too aggressive and badly.

UTG QQ's I raise cutoff calls everone else folds. I have a tendancy to play heads up way to aggressive and try to push my hands no matter what the board is, big hole and I am working on it.

flop come K high rainbow. I bet, raise, I reraise, call.

Turn A I figure the A may be a scare card for him so I bet, he calls.

river blank. I bet he calls and turns over AK for top 2.

Is the bet on the river bad poker? When he called the turn I should have known he had at least a King or an Ace, but I bet anyway. These kind of hands kill me because I try to represent hands too much trying to force them out heads up. Input appreciated. thanks

SA125
02-04-2004, 09:43 PM
AK not raising river is a good question too. Here's something for you to think about. Another poster had pocket JJ and faced 2 players with a board that had QQ.

The question was whether to ch or b into turn. I voted ch/f on turn and wrote "the surest way to lose money in poker is chasing big pairs with small ones." Sure enough the JJ held up and I was advised "It wasn't chasing. It was finding out where you're at."

The reality is that 1 of those 3 players didn't belong in that JJ hand and the other was on a draw. HU would've made the decision a little easier. Lucky.

I've found that, much more often than not, smaller pairs lose to board overcards. And I still believe it's chasing.

There's something to be said for aggressiveness, and something to be said for living to fight another battle.