PDA

View Full Version : Should my flops seen be higher then 20% at .25 .50??

Sixth_Rule
02-04-2004, 04:52 PM
its always around 20% should i be playing more hands at this level?
if so any advice as to where and what to play when there is around 43% of flops seen for the table??

Nottom
02-04-2004, 05:09 PM
if you are seeing only 20% of the flops counting your blinds you are probably playing too tight. Loosen up a bit with small/medium pairs and Axs and continue to stay away from biggish unsuited cards.

Ticker74
02-04-2004, 05:26 PM
This leads me to ask, Considering Party's $0.5/$1 $1/$2 tables are so crazy (read loose), what is a reasonable flops seen %?

HajiShirazu
02-04-2004, 05:27 PM
I am playing the party .5/1 for now to rebuild my roll after blowing it all on a computer and christmas gifts, and I was surprised, at the lower stakes I expected my flop percentages to be much higher, up in the high 20's, but usually they are right around 20%. And I always play all pairs in ep and suited connectors/Axs in MP/LP. Maybe I just am not getting good starting cards.

bisonbison
02-04-2004, 05:36 PM
Given a normal run of cards, 20% of flops is going to give you almost all of your decent hands. The hands that you would expand to if you were seeing 25% of flops are really marginal, and when you're starting out, I don't think they're going to be profitable, even at the passive micros.

Save your chips for the times when you can put them in confidently.

Sixth_Rule
02-04-2004, 05:54 PM
SO what about Hands like KJo and QJo still stay away from them early right.

actually i have another question, if i have KJo and i am at the button and there are 5 callers do i call here. I know that hands like 67s go up in value with alot of callers, do hands like KJo go down, and is it enough not to call them

MortalNuts
02-04-2004, 06:15 PM
It does depend a bit on whether the tables you're at tend to be passive or aggressive pre-flop. If pots are very seldom raised PF, meaning you'll be seeing the flop "for free" every time you're in the BB, 20% is probably a bit too tight. If every pot is raised PF, so you never get a free ride and are forced to dump many more marginal hands outside the blinds, 20% would be a bit high (imho).

Either way, you're not wildly out of line. Playing overly tight at 0.25/0.50 is hardly the worst thing in the world -- these games are easily beatable without playing marginal hands that give you only a smidgen of extra EV even when played very well, and playing those marginal hands poorly can wipe you out.

As an aside: If you have access to it (through pokertracker, for instance), tracking the percentage of times you voluntarily put money into the pot is, I think, somewhat more useful. There are plenty of old posts on here quoting the VP$IP stats of various players.

Nottom
02-05-2004, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
SO what about Hands like KJo and QJo still stay away from them early right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup

[ QUOTE ]
actually i have another question, if i have KJo and i am at the button and there are 5 callers do i call here. I know that hands like 67s go up in value with alot of callers, do hands like KJo go down, and is it enough not to call them

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably go ahead and call, but I don't think you loss a lot if you don't play it there. If they were suited you should be raising in that same spot.

Lori
02-05-2004, 02:22 AM
actually i have another question, if i have KJo and i am at the button and there are 5 callers do i call here.

If you feel comfortable with being able to play better than your opponents after the flop comes KT3 you might get a little from calling, however, the first thing you should feel comfortable with is your pre-flop play and it doesn't seem that you are at that stage yet.

Think about your opponents, are they raising with KQ (Helping you to determine if your KJ is good when you hit) or are they just calling.
If they are just calling, are they going to check raise you on this flop, or are you going to end up leaking bets.
Are you good enough to get off this hand if things get tough? Are you good enough to call the maniac with K4 down often enough to show a profit?

Are they crazy enough to keep calling to the river with TJ in the same example.

Many factors you have to think about.

For now, if in doubt, fold.

The better your post-flop play becomes, the more you can get out of your marginals.
Playing marginals AND being outplayed after the flop is a recipe for a bustout.

Lori

StellarWind
02-05-2004, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The quality of the limpers matters more than quantity here. Let me explain.

Playing Q8o MP is a really bad idea. Why? Because it loses money on average. Who gets that money? The other people in the pot split it.

If you have a choice between calling 3 limpers or calling 4 limpers one of whom is Q8o, 4 limpers is better because you get a little piece of Q8o's money. The bigger pot compensates for the times he flops two pair.

But if the 4th limper is the type of player who will bring AJo or KQo minimum, then when you call with KJo a little piece of your money goes to him. When calling limpers with high cards, don't be unduly concerned with how many hands are playing, worry about how many good hands are playing. One tight opponent is a bigger threat than several very loose players.

When calling with suited connectors or a little pair, then quantity matters more. You are playing a long shot to build a big hand that will usually crush all opposition--tight and loose alike--when you hit it, so the primary concern is do you have the pot odds and implied odds to make the risk worthwhile.