PDA

View Full Version : Value of unsuited medium connectors?

Azhrarn
02-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Hello all. I'm interested in hearing other people's opinions on the value of medium unsuited connectors (and one-gappers) in two specific situations in a shorthanded game.

1) Defending your big blind against a single raise from a loose-aggressive player.

2) Completing from the small blind in an unraised pot (let's assume there was at least one limper.)

Would you call in these situations always, never or maybe depending on how many other players are in?

For myself, I sometimes call, sometimes fold, and recently I feel like I've been making the wrong decision no matter what I choose. Opinions?

Nate tha' Great
02-04-2004, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hello all. I'm interested in hearing other people's opinions on the value of medium unsuited connectors (and one-gappers) in two specific situations in a shorthanded game.

1) Defending your big blind against a single raise from a loose-aggressive player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy call against a single raise from a LAG from the CO, Button or SB. One good thing is that LAGs tend to get friskiest when they have face cards and aces; so you're less likely to be dominated when holding middle cards than with something like K7, which I usually won't defend with.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Completing from the small blind in an unraised pot (let's assume there was at least one limper.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokertracker suggests I'm making money from the SB with JTo, J9o and 98o (T9o shows up as a loser, but that might be a sample size issue) but losing money with anything smaller. I'm completing with these hands about half the time, so I'm already picking and choosing my spots. I think the quality of your opponents and the blind structure (1:2 versus 2:5 versus 2:3) are more important considerations than the number of limpers when deciding whether or not to complete with these hands.

bigpooch
02-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Interesting: perhaps I am too optimistic with smaller
offsuit connectors in the SB! I'll remember not to think
too fondly of one-gappers of T8o or worse and zerogappers
76o or worse. I just can't believe 87o isn't worth 1/2 a
small bet in a 4-way pot!