PDA

View Full Version : Interesting decision - heads up against a LAG

stantheman
02-04-2004, 03:37 PM
UB 2/4 game from earlier today, I found myself with an interesting decision on the flop here:

I'm in SB with 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

4 limpers to me, I complete, BB checks.

Flop is 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet out, 2 folders, MP raises, 2 folders to me...

I've played a bit against the MP here - his preflop play is erratic at best, awful at worst (he plays any A, limps frequently with big hands, and I've even seen him 3-bet with hands like A5o); he's tricky heads up (not afraid to bluff raise if he thinks opponent is weak); and he LOVES to slowplay big hands (flopped boats & flushes) - sometimes he even waits to the river to get his raises in.

What's your play here - 3-bet the flop or just call and checkraise the turn? For the record, I chose to 3-bet the flop. Results will follow.

Louie Landale
02-04-2004, 07:44 PM
Before you even SEE the flop you should be thinking "check-raise" with this guy in last position.

Your hand is too vulnerable to wait until the turn; especially since there are just a couple turn cards you actually like (8 or 7). Also, you may easily NOT get the raise in on the turn against this player. A failed turn check-raise is an unmitigated disaster since it gives ALL 3 players two free shots at outdrawing you; I hate it when that happens.

Raise now while the raising is good.

Head's up is a completely different story.

- Louie

AceHigh
02-04-2004, 08:02 PM
3-bet the flop, you don't want to chance a free card on the turn. I like to take the lead when I am out of position.

Barry
02-04-2004, 08:07 PM
I think that betting out on the flop here is fine. Unless the folks between you and the LAG have a real hand, they're not going to want to get trapped between the 2 of you and you can count on the LAG to raise to get rid of the other 2. So I think that a bet has the best chance of getting you heads up with the LAG.

After he raises, whether to 3-bet the flop or go for a turn checkraise would depend on how reliably he can be counted on to bet the turn. If high I would plan to checkraise almost any turn card; otherwise I would 3-bet the flop. For me it's one of those things that I would decide real-time based upon his previous play.

stantheman
02-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

I 3-bet the flop, he called.

Turn came 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, he called.

River was 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for my set.

I bet, he called.

He flipped A /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif, and MHIG.

In hindsight, looks like he probably would have bet the turn if I had just called his flop raise, giving me the opportunity to checkraise. But, I guess it's better to err on the side of conservatism here and get the bets in while I can. Right?