PDA

View Full Version : .5/1 NL Hand from Poker Stars

TonyG86
02-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Just got back into my first poker stars NL ring game today after just playing limit for a long time. Interesting hand came up in the first orbit i was in so no real reads on any of the players.

I am Dealt 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in LP

UTG limps UTG+1 raises to 3, 3 callers i call button calls blinds fold UTG calls.

Flop comes 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG checks UTG+1 bets 5, all fold to me i just call button folds utg folds

Turn 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG puts me all in whats ur play here? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Huskiez
02-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Hm kind of need some stack sizes to know exactly what and what you should not call. I probably would not have called the preflop raise with a weak hand like 54s, but I guess it's not too bad if the people will pay you off.

The pot seems to be around 20 at the flop, 30 at the turn when he sets you all in. I count 9 outs on spades and 5 outs on 4's and 5's. I'm not sure whether these are definitely outs though, as he could be moving in on a flush draw (in which case you're probably the favorite with your pair) or two pair (in which case you lose 5 outs). The most likely case though is the overpair or set of Qs.

Let's assume 14 outs for now (if he has the overpair), which gives you roughly a 28% chance (14 x 2) to win the pot. Therefore if your call divided by pot (after your call) is 28% or less I would call. Otherwise fold.

Acesover8s
02-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Call me a maniac, but I'm not calling on the flop here. You've got a pair and a flush draw. You're against a preflop raiser who basically minraised. Then on the flop he bets less than a 3rd of the pot.

He could be fooling around with AK, AJ. He could be afraid of that Q with JJ or TT, or 77 for that matter. He could have AQ, which you have 14 outs against.

I push in here unless the stacks are monstrous, but either way I'm raising.

On the turn, you have a fold unless one or both of you is small stacked. Now his hand seems stronger, or he could be responding to your passivity.

The question I ask myself in these situations is, "Do I think he can take the heat?" Probably not, fire it out, and get lucky if necessary.