PDA

View Full Version : What poker software would you like to see?

SpaceAce
02-04-2004, 02:55 PM
I finally decided to crack some of my books and learn JAVA for real. I'm already proficient in several few programming languages and kept putting off learning JAVA because I didn't really need it. I still don't need it but every time I look at my bookshelf, the JAVA books seem to be saying, "You spent $100 bucks on us for nothing... NOTHING! Whoooooo," and I've finally given in to my guilt.

So, it turns out JAVA is a breeze. I opened the books two days ago and I've already written a temperature converter that does Celsius, Fahrenheit and Kelvin and I'm almost done with a game that automatically generates mazes and lets you race against the computer to complete them. I am going to need new projects, soon, and I thought poker-related programs might be the way to go. I'm looking for suggestions from my fellow players.

Some things I am already thinking of:
- An income/session/bankroll tracking program that will allow you to view the data in numerous ways such as results by game, day, limit, time of day, time of year and so on.
- A detailed notes system that will allow for categorization, in-depth note-taking, flagging and (depending on the mechanics of various online poker clients) possibly a system to automatically alert you when players you have singled out join your table.
- A twodimes-style calculater that could be parked on your desktop for easy access during play or whenever you feel like using it without firing up a browser.
- A client-side hand converter, possibly with stored databases of previously translated hands giving synopses of the hands.
- An open-source program to provide some or all of the features of a program like Poker Tracker to the community for free. If any other programmers are interested in this, reply here or send me a private message.

If you like one of the above ideas, cast a vote. If you have a completely different idea, let me know.

Some things to keep in mind:
1) Please keep the suggestions realistic. I am not going to be writing any advanced poker AI in the near future.
2) I am not promising to write anything but I will give consideration to any and all suggestions.
3) Any projects I take on from suggestions I get here will be in my spare time. I have a lot of spare time but don't expect to see your idea completed and available this weekend. Think months, not days. An exception to this is if one of the suggestions really grabs me in which case you could see a working version very quickly.

SpaceAce

symphonic
02-04-2004, 03:32 PM
A program that gives me the ability to see my opponents hands online please /images/graemlins/grin.gif Haha, but in all seriousness, all of the ideas you came up with sound good. Good luck.

Mung
02-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Also a Java programmer. Love the language. Would be interested in working with you or on an open source project. Am particularly interested in methods to calculate probabilities.

I think the two dimes software is already open source, on sourceforge.net, but I doubt it is written in Java. Maybe we could port it.

Scott aka Mung.