PDA

View Full Version : JJ in the BB heads up with Limp Raiser

37offsuit
02-04-2004, 02:48 PM
2/4 Borgota

Suits didn't matter for this hand as the turn rainbowed. SB was a tight aggressive player. I never saw him get caught bluffing where most pots were called down. Two hands before this, he check raised a monster on the turn and took it down.

I have JJ in the BB.

5 limpers to me, I raise, called to the SB who 3 bets, I cap, everyone now folds to the SB who calls. Heads up.

Flop: 2 4 10 Rainbow

SB Bets out, I raise, SB 3 bets, I cap.

Turn: 3 completing the rainbow.

SB Bets out again. I figured that I'm beat here drawing to two outs. My gut says fold. My head says fold. I call anyway.

River: 8

SB bets, I call.

Thoughts?

37offsuit
02-04-2004, 02:49 PM
SB had 45 suited and was on a complete bluff from the start. I talked to him later about the hand while we were smoking a cigerette. He told me that he decided to bluff from the start, had flopped the middle pair, turned the open ender and that since I backed off he thought he also had a chance of buying it on the river. What do you think about his play?

Joe Tall
02-04-2004, 03:09 PM
I'd go into a call down mode.

Really strange action from the SB. You just don't see many complete-re-raises from the SB, in fact this is the first time I've ever heard of any decent player doing this.

Peace,
Joe Tall

sfer
02-04-2004, 03:14 PM
That's an odd limp-reraise from that position, unless he thinks you're a LAG. You're last to act, so if he's limp-reraising AA or KK he must have a direct connection to your brain.

I would call the 3-bet preflop, call the 3-bet on the flop, and call down from there. Again, because that PF move came from the SB I'm doubtful he has you beat.

37offsuit
02-04-2004, 03:18 PM
That's what got me. He was a solid player. The only thing I could figure was that he thought that I might be semi-bluffing to push them off on the flop or turn by being aggressive. I don't really like his play after that. I could have been on all kinds of hands and he was heads up against me with a draw. I mean, the only hand that he could put me on that he beats is AK on this one. Maybe since I backed off on the turn, that is what he thought.

el_grande
02-04-2004, 03:24 PM
There are good ways to mix up your play. Throwing away 6BB is probably not one of them.

I don't understand going into maniac mode on one hand like this. It doesn't fool anyone later unless you do it again with a monster.

37offsuit
02-04-2004, 03:24 PM
Yeah, my real concern was a set. One of the many thoughts going through my head at that time was that maybe we was going to limp with a low to medium pair and then since I raised, he saw an opportunity to clear out the field behind us. Typically if I get three bet and I have a decent hand (AK, or pairs over 99) I'll cap, and he was the type of player that probably would have noticed that from my play.

37offsuit
02-04-2004, 03:26 PM
The only thing I could figure is that he put me on AK and really thought there was a possibility he had me beat.