PDA

View Full Version : $6-$12 @ the Borgata...Tough river decision

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 02:39 AM
I played this hand earlier tonight at a $6-$12 game at the Borgata. 4 limpers to me and I get a free play in the big blind with the mighty 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Flop K /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to a live player who bet. The action got folded to a calling station on my right who called. I called also. A little background on the live player. He attempted to bet $12 when action got to him. The dealer had to explain the correct betting structure to the live player. (I also explained it to him considering our dealer did not have a solid understanding the english language.) I put him on at least a King or a flopped two pair including the King. The calling station could have had any two cards.

Turn 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I checked the live player bet the calling station called, I raised the live player called the calling station folded. Shocking /images/graemlins/crazy.gif considering I had seen this player go to the river on every hand he played.

River K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

What action should I take?

Who would have bet the river? If he raises should I call or fold or reraise? Would anyone have folded the river to a single bet? Who would have check raised the river?

Who would have check raised the turn?

Results and comments to follow.

bdk3clash
02-04-2004, 03:09 AM
Bet and call a raise. Folding would be silly, given the pot size and the chance you're winning, even if you're raised. I guess you could check call if you really think he has a boat, but it would take at least his river raise to convince me.

As for check-raising the turn, I'm not a huge fan of doing this very often when my flush draws come in, because, come on, everyone can see the third suited card hit the board, right? Obviously, a free card here could be semi-disastrous.

Nevertheless, looks like you had a good read that the player would bet, so I like the play, situationally, of course.

Mikey
02-04-2004, 03:49 AM
Mike i think you played this hand very well.

Nice flop for your BB.

I like your turn play a lot. I would have went for the checkraise as well especially since you put him on two pair.

"I put him on at least a King or a flopped two pair including the King. "

Now on the river, its tricky but you still can't give up on the hand.

Check and call.

The reason for the check and call is because "you" put him on 2 pair.

If you didn't put him on 2 pair, then lead the river.

Trix
02-04-2004, 04:53 AM
You think he is cabable of checking behind with trips or two-pair anyway ?
Is he passive enough for you to be able to fold to a raise?
Turn checkraise when flushcard hits got to scare him if he cant beat the flush.

Joe Tall
02-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Bet the river and call a raise. I would have played it the same. I wouldn't doubt if he flips over AK.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 09:02 AM
I discussed this hand with Mosch after the smoke cleared and we both decided this hand should get posted.

I checked the river my opponent bet and I ....called /images/graemlins/confused.gif I considered betting however I really thought the King filled him up. He tabled K 8 and I had the winner.

When I discussed the hand with Mosch and asked what action he would have taken on the river, he said he would have bet. I asked what action he would take if he got raised. I felt fairly certain the live player would have raised if I would have bet.

I need to stop seeing monsters under my bed /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 10:16 AM
The reason for the check and call is because "you" put him on 2 pair. If you didn't put him on 2 pair, then lead the river

I put him on a flopped two pair.

I think I gave him too much credit. When he called the turn check raise, I figured him for two pair. I did not put him on a single King drawing dead /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Justaloser
02-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Who would have check raised the turn?

I would.

Who would have bet the river? If he raises should I call or fold or reraise? Would anyone have folded the river to a single bet? Who would have check raised the river?

I would bet/call. I wouldn't fold to a single bet. There's over 8BB in the pot now and you're better than 9:1 to have the best hand.

I'm not sure about a checkraise on the river. Unless he doesn't understand the concept of the checkraise, it's not likely he'll bet again.

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 11:09 AM
I would bet/call. I wouldn't fold to a single bet. There's over 8BB in the pot now and you're better than 9:1 to have the best hand.

I never considered folding. I considered betting, however he appeared too happy when the King hit.

After he bet the river, I could have raised him however I will not feel too thrilled if he reraised.

rharless
02-04-2004, 12:05 PM
I would have lead bet on every street. I would just call a raise on every street except of course the turn where I would have 3-bet.

Occasionally I would check-raise the turn but probably not in this situation. If I had lead-bet the flop then I definitely lead-bet the flush. I am always amazed at how people do not put me on a flush if I have lead-bet the flop.

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 12:22 PM
I would have lead bet on every street.

I did not look at my cards until after the live player bet.

I have a very bad ( and stupid /images/graemlins/crazy.gif) habit of not looking at my hole cards when I pay the big blind until my turn to act. I checked blind my opponent bet I saw I had two hearts and I called.

rharless
02-04-2004, 12:34 PM
I have played blind in the blind only once. Turns out I had KK and lost at least 3BB by not raising preflop.

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 01:03 PM
I have played blind in the blind only once. Turns out I had KK and lost at least 3BB by not raising preflop.

It happened to me twice. Once with AK and once with AA.
I won both hands, however I did not get to extract the maximum.