PDA

View Full Version : Never ever ever ever EVER again

DougBrennan
02-04-2004, 02:34 AM
I am posting this hand hoping that the shame of it will keep me from ever ever ever doing it again.

PS $10+1 rebuy, blinds at 100/200 after the rebuy period, I have T9250 and recently lost a T10000 pot when my AJs lost to an AJo that hit runner-runner for the flush. I was still in good position, as I told myself several times, but apparently I didn't listen.

I am in UTG+1 and get A /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

1st mistake. I, knowing the possible ramifications, LIMP after UTG folds. I knew what I was risking, but I decided that a 3xBB raise would win me the blinds only, and I was determined to win more. HA!

All fold to SB, T4025, who calls. BB checks.

Flop: 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Lovely think I. SB bets 200, BB folds, and I 2nd mistake: just call, still baiting my trap.

Turn: [8 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif] 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Oh crap, think I. SB bets 1200, and I 3rd mistake: call, thinking I'm probably already beat.

Flop: [8 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Aiy yi yi. SB goes all-in for 2400, and 4th mistake: I call, chiefly to punish myself, I think. I can't think of any other reason to call here.

SB shows K /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

And I am thrilled to know that, probably, had I bet at any time up to and including the Turn, I would have taken the pot.

Any comments and/or flames are welcome, but this is mostly a matter of self-cleansing.

Hotrod0823
02-04-2004, 02:53 AM
For What its worth I think the SB is pretty happy with this flop and may call you even if you went all in on the flop.

I think after the 5 fell a raise would push him off and definetly a PF raise should've.

tough break! I know there must be positives to slow playing AA but I just don't see them as often as the slow played loses. The bad beats aren't as tough to take I guess when you AA gets beat by a set of K's or J's. At least then they have a hand.

When AA gets cracked by a free play from the BB it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Hotrod

CrisBrown
02-04-2004, 03:24 AM
Hiya Doug,

I hope you're successful in never again making this same mistake. If so, you'll be more successful than most of us, myself included. In the heat of play, sometimes it's hard to remember the simple things: like don't slow-play your way out of a good hand. *sigh* I've made the same mistake, and I suspect I'll make it again sometime.

Cris

wayabvpar
02-04-2004, 05:07 PM
I got cute with AA last night in the same tourney, and had very similar results. Didn't cost me my whole stack, but it was certainly a thumb in the eye.

Sometimes I think that shoving it all in preflop and hoping someone thinks I am overbetting the pot on a stone bluff has merit; if I get any callers, I know I am ahead preflop at least =) Of course, I will rarely get any customers if I do it that way and thus 'waste' my rockets. Doesn't sting as bad as allowing myself to get sucked out on though.

In short- I feel your pain, since I do the same thing to myself more often than I would care to admit.