PDA

View Full Version : $6-$12 @ the Borgata.. Mosch makes a guest appearance

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 02:22 AM
Hi Everyone,

I had the following hand tonight at an extremely good $6-$12 game at the Borgata.

I picked up 10 10 on the button. Six limpers to me (including Mosch he sat one to my right)and I raised. The small blind folded the big blind called and everyone else called.

Flop 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Under the gun bets into me. The action gets folded to the cutoff who called, I raised, under the gun reraised the cutoff called and I capped. Both called.

Three of us to see the turn.

4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to me I bet both call.

K /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to me. I bet under the hand called and the cutoff folded.

What did UTG have? Who would have smooth called the flop and gotten in another raise on the turn?

Results and thoughts later.

BottlesOf
02-04-2004, 02:29 AM
JT, J9, or 99. In descending liklihood (sp?).

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 02:40 AM
nope /images/graemlins/confused.gif

You get another try.

Bogatog
02-04-2004, 02:45 AM
UTG could have had QJs.

As for smoothcalling and getting an extra raise, seems like it would work well and if a scare card comes off you can see how CO reacts to it to make your play.

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 02:47 AM
UTG could have had QJs.

Nope. Try again.

Gildersneeze
02-04-2004, 03:49 AM
UTG had a set of eights?

That's my guess. I doubt top set would have slowed down thanks to a rag popping off. I'm saying he had 88 and decided to start going into check/call just in case you were capping it with two pair and thought his set of eights might hold.

symphonic
02-04-2004, 03:53 AM
I would've guess JT also, but since that's not correct. A9 or AJ?

Trix
02-04-2004, 05:20 AM
AJ, J8 or JJ ?

Bogatog
02-04-2004, 05:43 AM
As I think about it more I have no more guesses. You say its a very good table. That coupled with the fact that you posted this leads me to believe UTG has some off the wall holding so I'm just going to stop guessing the hand and wait for the surprise to be unveiled.

Christoferj
02-04-2004, 05:58 AM
i guess he had AQ clubs but hey im just a newbie so how should i know =)

if he had he had 8 outs on str8 and a gutshoot on flush and maybe he was thinking he had an overpair.

Joe Tall
02-04-2004, 08:29 AM
Does this make mosch the CO?

I would have played it the same. UTG has AA.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 08:50 AM
Does this make mosch the CO?

Mosch sat to the right of the cutoff.

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 08:54 AM
UTG flopped bottom set with 88.

I considered calling his reraise on the flop and going to war again on the turn.

Reviewing the hand, I should have waited until the turn to go to war. I knew this played did not have a set of Jacks. I put him on AJ or J 10.

BottlesOf
02-04-2004, 10:51 AM
AJ/KQ?

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Bottles,

Strike two.

If you don't want to cheat and look at the results, I will give you a clue. He had a very strong hand that he could have lost a lot more with. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

rharless
02-04-2004, 11:44 AM
I think you played it just fine the first way. Most players who hold 88/JT here, will still lead into you on the turn and provide you the chance to raise again.

Let's say the hand had gone like this:

Flop: UTG bets, CO-1 calls, MG raises, UTG 3-bets, CO-1 calls, MG calls.

Turn: UTG bets, CO-1 calls, MG raises, both call

Then you win 7BB on the flop and the turn. But then when UTG turns over his 88, you (or at least I) would say "crap" because you realize if you had capped the flop, 88 would have still lead-bet the turn, and I could have won 8BB on the flop and turn.

In general, I save my flop-slowplay-until-the-turn moves for situations where it is HeadsUp, or the board is absolutely drawless and I KNOW the texture of the table will not generate much flop action (I love getting re-raised if I hold a set).

Note, I think it's important to cap the flop with other non-set hands as well to add value to the times when you ARE capping with a set.

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Then you win 7BB on the flop and the turn. But then when UTG turns over his 88, you (or at least I) would say "crap" because you realize if you had capped the flop, 88 would have still lead-bet the turn, and I could have won 8BB on the flop and turn.

My thoughts pretty much for the hand.

I did not put him on Q 9 for the flopped straight, and I did not put him a runner runner flush.

With the pot that large nobody will fold and UTG might have led into me again on the turn.

rharless
02-04-2004, 12:08 PM
If these are your thoughts for the hand, then you should be happy you capped the flop, and not regretting that you didn't slowplay to the turn. I was explaining my thinking, which (as I read it) is contrary to what you have explained as your thinking thus far in the thread.

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 12:29 PM
I was explaining my thinking, which (as I read it) is contrary to what you have explained as your thinking thus far in the thread.

I sometimes don't convey my thoughts clearly when I post. Sorry for the confusion. I didnt think about not capping the flop until after the hand.

Mosch and I discussed the hand a bit and I asked what he thought about waiting until the turn to raise. I did not think of this alternative wa of playing it until after the hand ended.

Thanks for the response /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BottlesOf
02-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Without looking: 88? I guess this fits. I originally put the others b/c I didn't think he'd go right into check call mode on the turn. I'm going to look after this guess.

rharless
02-04-2004, 12:37 PM
OK. Then I like your thinking during the hand. I don't particularly like your post-mortem thinking.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 12:41 PM
OK. Then I like your thinking during the hand. I don't particularly like your post-mortem thinking.

Thanks /images/graemlins/blush.gif, I feel glad that I played it the way I did in the heat of battle.

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 01:19 PM
UTG had a set of eights?

We have a winner.

Good answer Gilder /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm saying he had 88 and decided to start going into check/call just in case you were capping it with two pair and thought his set of eights might hold.

I thought he would have given me more action with bottom set.

Mike Gallo
02-04-2004, 01:41 PM
I guess he had AQ clubs but hey im just a newbie so how should i know

Welcome aboard Chris,

If he had rivered the runner runner flush he would have bet or raised. He would have the nuts and therefore have nothing to fear.