PDA

View Full Version : A6 suited, very interesting hand

absentx
02-04-2004, 12:54 AM
Okay, Ultimate bet 2-4, about fifty percent seeing the flop, but I really dont have a good read on many players yet, early in my session.

I am in MP1 with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif there is one caller in EP and I raise, Late position reraises, EP folds, I call.

Flop comes 8 /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check, other dude bets, I call

turn brings 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check, other dude bets, I raise, other dude re-raises, I call

River brings 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, other dude bets I call

I know there will be a lot of critique on this one, I am curious to know what everyone else may think happens here, I will post results later

Stu Pidasso
02-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Preflop:

I don't like the raise as you will probably not isolate the EP player with %50 seeing the flop.

You raised and were reraised. Its safe to assume you do not have the best hand going into the flop.

The Flop:

The flop was a clean miss. Nothing is compelling you to stay in the hand. EJECT!

You should have a $1200 bankroll to play $2-$4.

I'm glad you won the hand.

Stu

DarkKnight
02-04-2004, 01:11 AM
this hand is playable before the flop only with a loose passive table. You've got that and then you go and mess it up by raising. Call hoping for a pile of players.

Once you're raised behind you can expect to behind. Once you see the flop you should expect to be even further behing.

Fold while the foldings good.

DK

Bogatog
02-04-2004, 05:39 AM
Since you posted this, I'm going to say that you took it down with your 6's to an overplayed AK or PP less than 6.

Taking the risk of sounding like the other 2 posters, I'm going to say that the preflop raise was worse than a call.

The flop looks ugly and you missed hardcore. I think you either have to lead out and hope your opponents missed more than you or just check/fold. Check/call seems like the worst plan as you're drawing to a possibly dirty 3 outs.

The c/r on the turn could work if your opponent has the ability to fold his hand to strength or you're trying to get him to fold the river if a scare card comes. But I think check/fold is still the better option here.

On the river another overcard to your pair came, the flush came and theres 4 to a straight. So even if your opponent was betting a draw ALL of them got there on this river. At this point, since you c/r the turn I feel bet and fold to a raise is reasonable since the pot has become quite large at this point and betting seems like the only way to win this pot.

If that was all horrible advice I really hope one of the veterans comes in and straightens me out so as not to confuse you.

Joe Tall
02-04-2004, 08:31 AM
You should limp after limpers w/Axs.

You should also fold on the flop.

Peace,
Joe Tall

absentx
02-04-2004, 09:54 AM
Okay, I agree with what everyone has said here. worst move was calling after the flop. But I had a read on this guys hand, ya know the good old "I have AK and I am so pissed that I missed the flop and that your not folding that I am going to throw my chips at you and hope they slice your throat so I can steal all your chips". He was acting way to fast and I wasnt buying it, I did get lucky, but he was bluffing me and I felt I had the best hand after the turn.

So stu, you read me well! I took down a very nice pot on a series of bad plays, he showed down AK, but the "Feel" factor is what I was playing, not the numbers.

Nate tha' Great
02-04-2004, 10:14 AM
Even if he had AK, you're still way behind until catching a very nice card on the tuurn.

Joe Tall
02-04-2004, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even if he had AK, you're still way behind until catching a very nice card on the tuurn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny thing is, it may have been the winner, but it's not all that great of a card.

Peace,
Joe Tall

SA125
02-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Ax s or o seems to be unmuckable by most 2/4 players. I just saw a guy in $4-8 MP with A10o 3 bet an EP 2 bet on blind. Why?

The question players don't seem to ask themselves about playing Ax is what flop they're looking for. What if they just flop an A? Then the talk of "seeing where I'm at, playing the man, getting reads", etc come out. I find the reality is most of them pay off to the river and, more often than not, get out kicked. Winning poker is being on the good side of more often than not.

The guy was consistent in his show of strength against you. Strong players don't always play AK like that. I had AQ in MP and got 2 bet by a strong player in EP. I just called. Blank flop, he bet, numerous calls. Blank turn, all ch's. A spikes on river, he bets and I make crying call knowing he has AK and he does. Rest of callers were mostly loose and hit small pair hung around cheap. Now if someone attacked the flop and turn I would've mucked because, more often than not, I'm behind with few outs. AQ looked good on the blind and died.

I chucked A3, guy next to me played it, flopped 2P, and still got out kicked. Then he's muttering about bad beats. A6-9 doesn't leave the luck of a back door straight. I'll limp in with A10+ to A5-s and look for flush, straight, kicker trips, 2 pair and lastly, the A.

That's the main problem to consider. Are you disciplined enough to get away from the hand if you hit the A and nothing else?

Tosh
02-04-2004, 10:58 AM
The fact that he caught the card that was most likely to give him a winner yet could not be in the slighest bit confident he was ahead, shows why he shouldn't have been in the pot.

Joe Tall
02-04-2004, 11:01 AM
You should be limping with Axs in nearly any position in a loose-passive preflop game.

I limped UTG w/A7s yesterday in a 10/20 game at Foxwoods. 4 players limped behind.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Luke
02-04-2004, 11:25 AM
Call preflop.

Fold the flop.

The others have already laid out the reasons.

Luke

SA125
02-04-2004, 11:44 AM
What do you do Joe if the A flops and someone calls your bets or your raises, or bets over your checks? How far are you willing to go with A7? If there's no draws and board kickers are split higher and lower than your 7, would you pay off or lat it down?

Joe Tall
02-04-2004, 11:52 AM
SA,

For a newbie, you are asking all the right questions. Keep it up!! It's the only way to get better!

The situation you have brought up is very dynamic. It depends on a number of factors.

What type of players are betting into you.
How many opponents are to act before/behind you.
What type of player is raising you.
What might your opponents think about your bet. (image - live play it's stronger).
What type of hand may raise this flop whereas there could be a late-position draw and your top-pair is good.

Every situation is different and it will take good post flop skills and experience to know when to lay down.

Peace,
Joe Tall