PDA

View Full Version : Non poker books to help your game

gibs
02-04-2004, 12:11 AM
What books have you read that have helped out your poker game but do not directly deal with poker?

bigpooch
02-04-2004, 01:44 AM
Job!

cowboyzfan
02-04-2004, 02:45 AM
now that is funny!

Nottom
02-04-2004, 02:52 AM
I haven't read it, but I often see people recommending Sun Tzu's "The Art of War".

Jedi Poker
02-04-2004, 02:59 AM
Think Like Tiger by John Adrisani is totally awesome! I just read it. You can get it now at AMAZON.COM (http://www.amazon.com). Just go to the search window and type it in. It's totally awesome!!!

This book was written by one of the coaches that Tiger Woods had back when he was still in college. In it, not only will you learn many of Tiger's philosophies about golf, you'll also learn the philosophies of life that his parents programmed into him.

Moreover, you will learn his techniques for driving, fairway play, short game, putting, etc.

But the most important thing you will learn is how Tiger enters the "in the zone" mental state on a consistent basis. This is very important because it is ultimately the reason why Tiger consistently outperforms his rivals year in and year out (even during a "slump"!). You gotta realize that all top golfers are close in ability. Tiger comes way ahead because he can stay focused during crucial moments better than anyone can.

The book presents some of the meditation techniques that Tiger uses to do these things (it turns out he has a background in Zen). You can use them for poker too. I very highly recommend this book. You will not regret buying this book. It is very good.

Henke
02-04-2004, 09:06 AM
There are numerous translations and interpretations of Sun Tzus classic. However, an old translation by Lionel Giles is all over the internet. A search by gooogle brought up this link (http://www.chinapage.com/sunzi-e.html).

Zele
02-04-2004, 09:53 AM
Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Taleb. Nothing to do with poker per se, but an important slap in the face even for those who on paper are trained in statistics.

ElSapo
02-04-2004, 05:39 PM
The book I reccomend for everyone pursuing any sport or game or new skill set is "Mastery."

Poker blog
02-04-2004, 06:25 PM
I have read it, and I can't see what the fuss is about. Particularly relating to poker.

Redhot_man
02-04-2004, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have read it, and I can't see what the fuss is about. Particularly relating to poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
i agree...

Redhot_man
02-04-2004, 10:39 PM
I think that any book that reinforces that poker is only a small part of life is very important.

pretender2k
02-10-2004, 05:13 AM
I think that any book that is recommended for personal growth is probably good. I have read many before I started playing poker and often wonder if that has helped me. Right now I am rereading Personality Plus by Florence Littauer. I like this book because it helps me understand other people and myabe understand why they play the way they do.

I also read a lot of history. I am absolutely amazed at the accomplishments of men like John Adams. When you see what some of these people went through it tends to put things back into perspective.

The other time I like to read non poker books is to tone down after a long night of playing. Right now I am reading Thoreau. It is so far from the game that it helps break my train of thought so I can sleep.