PDA

View Full Version : ATs SB, call three?

mosta
02-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Loose, not generally aggressive, mid-limit.
ATs in SB. UTG open raise. cold call. Three-bet.
Cold call. I folded. I suspect it's going to get
capped. I'm confident four plus maybe BB are going
to the flop. Good fold? Terrible fold?

Kenshin
02-04-2004, 12:26 AM
Many threads in this forum have discussed the value of ATs. I recommend you read those if you have not.

In regards to your play, I definately approve of your decision to muck to the three bet. In fact, I would consider folding ATs to a single raise from a solid UTG player (unless of course 4 or 5 people called).

Pipedream
02-04-2004, 01:56 AM
Easy fold.

Pipedream

SpaceAce
02-04-2004, 02:07 AM
I think this is a very routine fold.

SpaceAce

Roy Hobbs
02-04-2004, 11:55 AM
You should not think twice about your fold.

SoBeDude
02-04-2004, 02:31 PM
You define the game as loose and not very aggressive. I assume that means many flop can be seen for a single bet, and 3bets are rare.

In this case, you have to know your AT is WAY behind, and your only realistic hope is a flush.

You're out of position with a hand that most likely wins only with a flush, and it will be very expensive to try to draw to it.

Super easy and automatic fold.

-Scott

mosta
02-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Thanks. The issue I was getting at is how many players you need to have to try to flop a draw. I feel like I see a lot of posts with people calling raises with drawing hands (suited gappers, smaller pairs) because the pot is "multi-way"--versus say only 4 other hands--that seem way loose to me. So I'm frankly surprized everyone said fold--there seems to often be a lot of disagreement over drawing hands for starting conditions. What if there was no three-bet, just the raiser and 3 cold callers and BB?

DiamondDave
02-04-2004, 11:05 PM
It's a full table. Suppose you know for a fact that the betting will be capped before the flop.

Are there any circumstances under which you'd play ATs? What if everyone else was in and you had the button?
What if you were the BB and only the two players who auto-raise everything were in?
What if it were AJs?
AQs?

Ulysses
02-04-2004, 11:13 PM
First off, I think a lot of people call a lot of raises w/ garbage and use "multi-way" and "pot odds" and "implied odds" and other such phrases as excuses for playing a bad hand when in reality the truth is simply "I wanted to play the hand, so I called."

But one big difference is that AT is much more likely to be dominated (and the pot will be so big that you're likely to find reasons to pay off) in this spot than something like 89.

anatta
02-04-2004, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a full table. Suppose you know for a fact that the betting will be capped before the flop.

Are there any circumstances under which you'd play ATs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see these games that much anymore, but if I knew every street was going to be capped and it was going to be a family pot, I would play any suited ace regardless of position. Flop a flush draw, cap, anything worse than two pair, fold.