PDA

View Full Version : Overlimping for Fun and No Profit

andyfox
02-03-2004, 11:58 PM
The games at Commerce are LOOSE this week. A lot of people are in town for the tournament and there have been 5 40-80 games going during the day. There are about twice as many people seeing an average flop as on a non-tournament average day.

So,for better or worse, I find myself overlimping now with hands I would normally fold (or raise).

On this particular one, I have the black sixes on the button. Four or five limpers and I overlimp. About six of us see the flop of Tc-9c-7h. Everyone checks to me! I check along.

The turn is the 6d, making the board, Tc-9c-7h-6d and giving me a set of sixes. Everyone checks to me! I bet. (Wrong?)

And I get 3 callers! Turn is Jd. A-B-C small blind bets, both other opponents fold. Call for the size of the pot?

bdk3clash
02-04-2004, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On this particular one, I have the black sixes on the button. Four or five limpers and I overlimp. About six of us see the flop of Tc-9c-7h. Everyone checks to me! I check along.

The turn is the 6d, making the board, Tc-9c-7h-6d and giving me a set of sixes. Everyone checks to me! I bet. (Wrong?)

And I get 3 callers! Turn is Jd. A-B-C small blind bets, both other opponents fold. Call for the size of the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Floor! The dealer put up two turn cards, but no river!" /images/graemlins/smile.gif

You're getting 8:1 to call here, but I'm guessing you're beat more often than you would need to make the crying call here profitable. Barring a specific read from the SB as a chronic river bluffer, I'm folding.

Incidentally, I doubt he has an 8, given his play on the turn.

PS-I play small stakes so I am probably spewing nonsense as usual.

Garland
02-04-2004, 12:29 AM
Hi Andyfox,

I don't think any sane person should check with the 8 on the turn (with the 2 clubs out there). I *might* have bet the flop to see where everyone is at. If it gets checkraised, I would throw it away as making the set would put a gut-shot on the board, as you got on the turn.

The turn, (if I originally checked) I certainly would bet to see where everyone is. If you're ahead, you will get paid off. If someone has the straight and is slowplaying, you'll probably find out right about now. And even then, you would add equity in the pot in case you filled up and can pop him at the river.

The river comes a card that could potentially make the QJ the absolute nuts. But with the size of the pot, I don't think you can afford to be wrong. You said small blind is A-B-C, but I guess it's still possible he could misread something or have the 2nd best hand. The fact no one has raised to you indicates that you belong in this pot and should close this round of betting.

Garland

nykenny
02-04-2004, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The games at Commerce are LOOSE this week. A lot of people are in town for the tournament and there have been 5 40-80 games going during the day. There are about twice as many people seeing an average flop as on a non-tournament average day.

So,for better or worse, I find myself overlimping now with hands I would normally fold (or raise).

[/ QUOTE ]

OVER-FOLD /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nykenny
02-04-2004, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The river comes a card that could potentially make the QJ the absolute nuts. But with the size of the pot, I don't think you can afford to be wrong. You said small blind is A-B-C, but I guess it's still possible he could misread something or have the 2nd best hand. The fact no one has raised to you indicates that you belong in this pot and should close this round of betting

[/ QUOTE ]
no one raised on the turn because the SB had only an 8. why raise? for what he knew Andy could be betting an 8 him self, so as a standard play when you have a 1 card straight, u call to induce more over calls...

Kenny

Christoferj
02-04-2004, 04:46 AM
dont say that is one of those cant realese a hand like ... KQs and made a gutshot str8 at river card ?

rigoletto
02-04-2004, 07:56 PM
if I was the sb I would bet a hand like KJ, J9 or 67 here. Your turn bet from the button could mean a lot of hands and any hand apart from QJ would have a hard time raising this river, so call!

WillMagic
02-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Doesn't anyone else think that QJ or KJ is a very significant possibility for the SB? His play on all streets would make sense - checking his draw, and then calling the turn with 8 straight outs and overcards. He then bets his jack. I think you are way better than 8-1 here and it's an easy call.

Will

rigoletto
02-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Ups! I meant apart from KQ.