PDA

View Full Version : Getting my feet wetter at Party $2-4: AJs on the button, big pot

bdk3clash
02-03-2004, 06:11 PM
My first rotation at this table, so no notes/reads on any player.

Comments on all streets appreciated; results later MajorKong style.

In particular, I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts regarding:

-My preflop cold-call
-My passivity on the flop
-My passivity on the turn
-What to do on the river: raise and hope worse hands call due to the pot size, or call and go for overcalls from from the two remaining players, given that some of the time I'm up against a boat here?

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
bdk3clash has J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is Button

EP1 raises, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, bdk3clash calls, SB folds, BB calls

Flop(14 1/2 SB): 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, EP1 checks, EP2 bets, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO raises, bdk3clash calls, BB folds, EP1 calls, EP2 calls, MP2 folds

Turn(11 3/4 BB): A/images/graemlins/heart.gif

EP1 checks, EP2 checks, CO bets, bdk3clash calls, EP1 raises, EP2 calls, CO calls, bdk3clash calls

River(19 3/4 BB): 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif

EP1 checks, EP2 checks, CO bets, bdk3clash...

Lost Wages
02-03-2004, 06:36 PM
Cool hand. A lot of decisions to make.

Preflop: certainly can't fold, calling is fine but raising is OK too.

Flop: Looks like EP1 missed his overcards. I would 3 bet to try and shut him out in case he has AK/AQ/AJ all of which you would like to fold.

Turn: You have top pair + nut flush draw --> raise! When EP1 checkraises you can put him on AK/AQ/AJ which means you are drawing to a flush or jack.

River: EP1 obviously didn't like the flush card. EP2 may have made a flush with you. CO probably has a 9 but if he had A9 he likely would have reraised the turn. I think you should raise here and take the sure call from the cutoff rather than going for overcalls you may not get. If EP2 did make a flush he might checkraise you!

Lost Wages

Tosh
02-03-2004, 06:52 PM
Preflop: I prefer calling to raising.

Flop: I'd 3 bet to try and get out AK or AQ.

Turn: I'd raise here too. If you're behind you have a lot of outs.

River: You're probably going to get a call for your raise, so I prefer raising to going for overcalls.

pergesu
02-03-2004, 07:33 PM
I suppose this is similar to what the other two said, but I'll make my quick comments.

I think a reraise on the flop would have been a strong play, as a semibluff. If the best possible situation occurs, you turn a flush, and a smaller flush may not give you credit for it. Additionally, turn a J and you've got TPTK, with a nut flush draw. You also should get the AK and AQ out of the hand, if they're out there, unless they've got the hearts and are hoping for a backdoor flush.

The turn is a definite raise. Top pair, strong kicker, still a nut flush draw. Obviously nobody is holding on to AK of hearts hoping for the flush. With that many callers on the flop, as well as a raise and reraise, you most likely got rid of the AK and AQ. If you get raised, you know you're facing a better hand probably, perhaps a better kicker, or two pair. Still, pot odds justify chasing your two pair or flush.

The river is a bit of a scare card, since the low limit players will often play hands like A9o for two or three bets PF. Go ahead and raise though, and just call a reraise.

bdk3clash
02-04-2004, 01:25 AM
I raised, EP1 folded, EP2 cold-called, CO called.

EP2 had K/images/graemlins/heart.gif9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif for trip 9s.
CO had K/images/graemlins/spade.gifT/images/graemlins/spade.gif for the second-nut flush.
My hand was good. How did this hand only go two bets on the river? /images/graemlins/smile.gif