PDA

View Full Version : NL holdem blind to stacks ratios

Yellowbeard
02-03-2004, 03:33 PM
I just finished reading through kick ass nl holdem's pdf on NL and I have a few questions for the experts.

In the document, he distinguished between high blind/shallow stack, medium blind, medium stack, and low blind/high stack scenarios.

1. Is there a percentage I should be looking at to determine when a table is high blind/shallow stack or one of the others? Any good rules of thumb? My regular live game normally starts with about 2% of the buyin is the big blind. I'm assuming that is low blind, deep stack, but when does it change?

2. The document recommends playing loose aggressive when low blind/deep stack. It recommends tight aggressive for medium blind/medium stack. And then recommends more aggression large blind/short stack. Does everyone agree in general with those principals?

Any thoughts, comments, or additions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bob

Nottom
02-04-2004, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My regular live game normally starts with about 2% of the buyin is the big blind. I'm assuming that is low blind, deep stack, but when does it change?

[/ QUOTE ]

In Kick-Ass NLHEesse this game would be in the Seige Territory or MediumStack/MediumBlind. In order to really take advantage of the more aggressive strategies you are going to need to have stacks well up over 100BBs.

In general most of the principals are sound
- when shortstacked you are usually just happy to steal the blinds
- midsized stacks play more like limit
- when in a battle with big stacks you can get away with a lot more "play" in an effort to trap someone and take their whole stack.

The Dude
02-04-2004, 04:17 AM
50x the BB is definately in the "Seige Territory." (Medium blind/ medium stack.)

I am really looking for at least 150x the BB before I'm in small blind/ deep stack territory. 200x or more is definitely in this range, but I don't think 100x quite gets there.

Yellowbeard
02-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Can you tell me at what point (number of BBs) you think it moves to Kamikaze (low stack/high blind)?

Thanks,

Bob

Redhot_man
02-04-2004, 09:12 PM
I think 50BB is about as low as you can go and still call it NL.