PDA

View Full Version : Best Tourney Site

jdbessix
02-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Just wondered what people thought as to which site offers the best tournaments. Play the PP $30, $50, and $100 multi's but looking for other sites to venture onto. TIA.

eMarkM
02-03-2004, 11:55 AM
PokerStars, by far. Time clock prevents a lot of abuse that goes on at Party. However, the tourney players on average are better at Stars.

Al_Capone_Junior
02-03-2004, 12:03 PM
The abuse on party does happen, i have seen it.

Stars does have better players, but I don't see that as that much of a hinderance. You'll not have six friggin callers when you raise six times the blinds UTG. The implicit collusion at party, because of all the idiots, makes winning tough, cuz you simply gotta have the best hand on the river almost every time. Many of your plays are taken away by the excessive looseness.

I would also recommend stars as the place to play, because of the terrific software and great tourney structures.

al

William
02-03-2004, 12:07 PM
You'll not have six friggin callers when you raise six times the blinds UTG. The implicit collusion at party, because of all the idiots

Al,

I love your style /images/graemlins/grin.gif
It allways makes me laugh /images/graemlins/grin.gif

William

cferejohn
02-03-2004, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The implicit collusion at party, because of all the idiots, makes winning tough, cuz you simply gotta have the best hand on the river almost every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never really seen implicit collusion discussed in a no-limit context before. It seems like it would be alot harder for it to occur (unless the bettor invited it by underbetting the pot).

I suppose it could make some calls less wrong, but I have a hard time imagining it would make them right (as can easily happen in a limit game).

I think that you can still force these really loose players at party into making very significant FToP mistakes which still == profit (even if the suckouts can be frustrating and the variance can be very large).

All that said, and even though I'd won a couple multi's there, I removed all my money from Party shortly after I won my first big multi at Pokerstars. The structure there is just so much better *especially* for sit n goes, which actually play like tournaments as opposed to incendiary street brawls...

Stoneii
02-03-2004, 03:42 PM
I've only ever played at stars so can't comment on rest but I've just come out of a week of watching runner runner suck-outs (not all against me, they just hurt more!!) that have seriously undermined my confidence in myself and random card generating code in general. RANDOM? RANDOM?

Out-bleedin-rageous, seriously affecting my wallet too.

Just venting, apologies

stoneii

Al_Capone_Junior
02-03-2004, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never really seen implicit collusion discussed in a no-limit context before. It seems like it would be alot harder for it to occur (unless the bettor invited it by underbetting the pot).

[/ QUOTE ]

Tho players may take the worst of it, it still happens that if a bunch of players will call bets, you simply gotta have the best hand most of the time, because one of them is more often than not going to outdraw you. You can reduce this effect by betting more of course. For this reason I often bet MORE than the pot to make sure that callers take MUCH the worst of it.

I don't think the bettor needs to be making a -EV play for implicit collusion to occur. To me, implicit collusion occurs when several people call, as if they are saying "well one of us has to beat him, so we'll all call."

al

DougBrennan
02-03-2004, 06:04 PM
I also recommend Stars, but I would like to make mention of Ultimate Bet. Their software is fast, and the tournies generally have fewer entries, 100-300 for the most part, so you might log a win a little more frequently there. Of course, it won't be for as much as a larger event at Stars with the same entry fee.

Some don't like the UB table appearance, but that's a personal choice, and there are a few selections. Also, UB has a tourney starting almost every hour.

tw texas
02-03-2004, 09:46 PM
i think paradise is the best. it has nearly as much selection as pokerstars, and the competition is much worse, and the prizes are much bigger.

ClemsonAce
02-03-2004, 11:23 PM
I have played on party and pokerstars and I prefer to play on pokerstars. Well that's my opinion.