PDA

View Full Version : Should I let in my opponents?

onegymrat
02-02-2004, 09:05 PM
$6-$12 live, nine-handed. Very loose, juicy table with a few calling stations. They are not too fond of facing postflop aggression, but seem to like calling you down. One very tricky player(TP) who has been caught stealing more than once.

Three limpers to me, TP is CO. I limp on the button with 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Both blinds call. Six to the flop.

Flop: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Five players check to me, so I bet. BB and two EPs call, as does TP. Five to the turn.

Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to TP who bets. I call, as does BB and EP. We only lose one player. Four to the river.

River: 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to TP who bets. I call, as does BB and EP.

I normally do not slowplay, but I thought this situation was unique. It's been bugging me all week. Any comments?

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
02-03-2004, 12:34 AM
I don't like the limp preflop.

Postflop, this is a good spot to slowplay a straight if I've ever seen one. The only draw you fear is a gutshot draw to the chop. Calling to induce overcalls seems correct on both the turn and river. Nicely played.

harboral
02-03-2004, 02:18 AM
I disagree with your logic here. The poster says they are weak, it is a juicy game - so raise the hand! Yes, it worked out pretty well with calls on the end from 2 players, but how much do you win if he raises? They probably call the raise on the turn - then with all that $ in the pot he probably gets at least 2 calls on the end. If they are on draws then they definitly call a second bet on the turn and he probably gets calls from the Jx and Qx that think the 2nd 8 helped them.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
02-03-2004, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They are not too fond of facing postflop aggression, but seem to like calling you down.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this description is true, I definitely think going for overcalls on the turn with 3 opponents left to act is the right play.

onegymrat
02-03-2004, 02:43 AM
I agree with you both. That's why I posted this hand to get some feedback. It's obvious that my hand was good. TP showed 8 /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif for trips. I was surprised he didn't raise preflop, which I would have folded to. Something he is capable of. Both BB and EP showed a jack with no kicker.

I was afraid that a raise on the turn would force out both BB and EP. I would lose two bb and gain one from TP. I was confident that if the board didn't pair again, I would gain all three bets on the river as well. The main reason why I called the turn is because the others have also noticed that TP was throwing some weak bluffs, and would call him down as long as there was no aggression. If I raised either turn or river, I would lose them both.

But then again, I risked the chance that the board would pair again, killing my own hand by letting them in. I normally would play my hands fast, often driving out the winners. But for some reason, I chose to slowplay. So even with favorable results, and a good read on all three players, I still don't like my play.