PDA

View Full Version : Lost big pot. . . .but did I play it right?

tdomeski
02-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Okay PS .25/.50 NL. . . .my stack is $64.45, opponents stacks are $67.15(from here on out referred to as "big stack")and $22.50 (from here on out referred to as "short stack"). . . in last position relative to the two players. . dealt K /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif. .. 4 limpers to me I raise it up to $2.50 to go. . . to my astonishment I get 5 callers. . . .okay this is the first problem, did I not raise enough pre flop to force out people with drawing hands that could possibly bust me? Okay flop comes: Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif . . . .three checks to "short stack" and he moves in for $20. ..action's now on me. . okay my thinking here is probably AQ, but maybe trips. .so I decide if I am going to play I have to raise. . .So I bump it and make it $50 to go. . . to my surprise "big stack" who was SB in the hand raises me all in. . . two others fold. .. so now I figure there's enough in the pot I can't turn back now so I call off the rest of my money. . . .Turn is J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif river is 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. ..at showdown "short stack" shows QJo for two pair. . . .meaning he turned me. . . .and "big stack" shows A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif meaning he turned the nuts. . . .So I realized that when the money went I had the best hand. . comments appreciated on all streets. . .

TDomeski

RiverBoatGamblur
02-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Looks flawless to me, raised to 5xBB should definately force out mediocre hands such as A5s and QJo. In my opinion, two very bad plays by these two players and you should definately play it the same in the future.

Holla At Ya Boi

muzungu
02-02-2004, 09:48 PM
yeah, looks fine to me as well. For the flop decision, I like your read- I've found that when the opponent leads out in this situation it means they have either top pair or a flush draw- flopped sets will usually slowplay. If you put him on a Q (which you did, correctly), then raising instead of calling seems good, so that you're making it more expensive for other players with flush draws to call (which you did, and the SB called anyway).

Good thought process, good play, bad result... what can ya do.

-muz

novamob
02-03-2004, 12:03 PM
Looks good to me as well, except when you questioned whether he had trips. I think with such a large bet I would have put the guy on bottom trips for the following reasons: (a) he may have called with a small pair because all the callers in front gave him decent odds (b) cuz there were 2 diamonds on the board and therefore a slow play is muy dangerous.

That said, I think you played your read correctly. I would have misread it (bad), but saved some money (good). The fact is that with the TV explosion of NLH, you get all kinds of nits in the game, so some horrendous beats are gonna happen. But at the same time there is more bad $$$ out there that good play will eventually pocket. Continue to play like this and you'll book more winners than losers. Don't smash the computer.