PDA

View Full Version : 46o In the BB

jimchapter
02-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Playing 3-6 Online at Ultimatebet. Haven't played at the table very long so I don't have a read on the player involved. Here we go.

I have 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the BB

UTG limps in and all fold to me and I check.

Flop is 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check UTG bets and I call

Turn is J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, UTG raises, I reraise and UTG calls

River is T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet and UTG calls

My concern is how did I play this hand but, more importantly what is the best play against an opponent or two when your trashy blind hand hits the flop well. BTW if anyone wants to guess what UTG had I'll post that later. Thanks.

steveyz
02-02-2004, 06:38 PM
I'd bet out the flop hoping for a raise and then check-raise the turn. Against only 1 or 2 opponents, I'm not sure I'd want to risk having it checked through on the flop and giving the flush draw a free card. I'm thinking your opponent had QJ?

Brian
02-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Hi jim,

I think you pretty much extracted the maximum out of this hand. Against an unknown opponent, it is difficult to tell what is the best method of slowplaying. I often do some sort of stop and go, though, because I do not want to risk having the Turn checked through. I think there are 3 good ways to play out this hand:

1) Bet the Flop, check-raise the Turn. I would normally use this maneuver if I am playing in a live game or against an observant opponent. The reason is that I will bet many Flops heads-up as a semi-bluff, and then check the Turn. You don't want your opponents to pick up on this trend, and this is the perfect situation to bet and then check-raise the Turn.

2) The way you played it. This form of stop-n-go is particular effective against aggressive players who hate when they bet the Flop but then you bet into them on the Turn.

3) Check-raise the Flop, bet the Turn. This is my default line of play online when I am multi-tabling and don't have many reads.

-Brian

jimchapter
02-03-2004, 12:58 AM
Thanks for your advice Brian. I feel that based on what my opponents holding was, the correct play was probably to bet the flop and check raise the turn as you suggested. However I had no idea what UTG had so I thought if I bet right out I may not even get called if he got no piece of this flop. I chose to check to allow UTG to take a shot a trying to take the pot down right away. Most players will do this heads up with the big blind in the game I play. That way I could allow him to put money in the pot for me without scaring him off. Of course if he had nothing he may just check the turn wondering what I called his bet with. So i decided I shouldn't give any free cards and I started to bet into him. Lucky for me UTG held AQo and raised me on the turn so I got to drag a nice little pot heads up. I thought this "stop and go" worked pretty well in this situation, but felt maybe I was missing out on something after I played the hand. As a note I would probably never play a hand like this slow in a multiway pot as I would probably get action from someone and my hand would be more vulnerable. Well just wanted to post this one to get some views as the best way to get value from these lucky hands heads-up. Tahnks again and gl!

DiamondDave
02-03-2004, 01:25 AM
Re-raise if raised. Build a big pot on the flop betting round against your only opponent. He will probably either fold on the turn after putting in three bets on the flop (which is OK), make/miss a flush draw after being charged the max, or call you to the end with a queen or whatever and probably lose to your trips.

UTG probably has QJs or AQ.