PDA

View Full Version : Early Action in SNG

DahveedG
02-02-2004, 05:19 PM
Being fairly new to the tournament scene (previously only played structured ring games), I am constantly wondering how to weigh survival to the money vs. opportunity to grab a big stack lead. In particular I was faced with the following situation:

First hand at a $6 Party SNG (blinds 15/30, all stacks 800)
3 call BB, action is to me (right of the button) with Kings.
I make it $200 to go, the blinds and a caller fold, MP caller reraises all-in, and last caller folds.

1) Is this a reasonable move given my position and a $70 pot?
2) Is it worth it to call here and risk the whole tourney stack against a likely Ax? Obviously odds are in my favor against anything but AA, but how should odds be weighed against early elimination?

(I ended up calling, and his A4o got a lucky 5678 on the board, but the chances of that are so small that I feel they can be ignored - the likely Ace is what leads me to ask this question, since the tournament structure has some effect on the worth of odds over time)

Kurn, son of Mogh
02-02-2004, 06:09 PM
You have KK. You raise, he goes all-in, you call.

You played it right. Don't let results bother you.

Bozeman
02-03-2004, 04:10 AM
You absolutely can not pass up this edge, unless this player has AA almost half the time to do this. No shame in busting out first, and 2:1 (at worst, barring AA) is plenty big.

ohkanada
02-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Of course you call. Unless this player must have AA to make that move the call is easy. Don't play results.

Ken Poklitar

Puffin
02-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Of course you call that same thing happened to me twice in a tourny last night. First time I was the one who raised all in second time someone raised me all in. Both times they had Ax and I won very large pots.