PDA

View Full Version : Getting my feet wet at Party 2-4: 99 in MP, paired flop

bdk3clash
02-02-2004, 05:26 AM
No real read on MP3, as he had only recently sat down. The table is generally loose passive.

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
bdk3clash has 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is MP1

UTG limps, bdk3clash limps, MP3 limps, Button limps, SB folds, BB checks

Flop(5 1/2 SB): 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, UTG checks, bdk3clash bets, MP3 raises, Button folds, BB folds, UTG folds, bdk3clash...

Your move, and why? How do you proceed on the later streets? Also, comments on my preflop limp and betting out the flop appreciated.

Results and my thoughts later, majorkong style. I assume everyone awaits with bated breath. (And yes, it's bated, not baited.)

(By the way, if you haven't checked it out, read majorkong's suggestions for hand postings (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=smallholdem&Number=491560& Forum=All_Forums&Words=43&Match=Username&Searchpag e=5&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=491560&Search=true# Post491560).)

Kongalicious, any word on when your book is coming out?

Ed Miller
02-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Kongalicious, any word on when your book is coming out?

In a few months. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sarge85
02-02-2004, 11:32 PM
I think the limp is fine, i think the bet is fine.

Hands I see MP3 raising with -

higher pocket pair
something with an 8
a pair of 4's

He still has the button to act, and so many people wait until the turn to turn up the hit with a hand like this, i'd almost give him credit for having a hand that beats yours. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

How weak tight am I! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

SA125
02-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Re-raise the flop to see where he's at. A bluff or A8 are the obvious guesses to put him on, but I see hands like 10-8o, 8-5s and J-8s routinely played to see and hit a flop like this. Because so many loose hands are played, I'd guess he has it. If he hits back, I check the turn and go from there. I wouldn't lay it down. I'd pay off.

bdk3clash
02-02-2004, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the responses. I reraised, he called.

Turn was 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, he folded.

Had he capped the flop, I think I would have check-folded the turn. If he called my turn bet, I would have check-called the turn.

jonahmavesin
02-03-2004, 12:13 AM
Very weak tight.

Assume there's no TT or above given no PF raise. Also assume no 44 - you just can't be afraid of miracle hands like that, far too rare to be a worry.

That leaves any 8, and I think, especially given that he has position on you, you can't take him at face value when he represents the 8. You have to reraise to see if he really likes it - if bluffing, he'll be just as afraid of you as you of him. If reraised, you can get out of the hand. If bluffing, he may fold (great), or just call, in which case you continue betting out.

A rare occurence: If you bet out and are reraised on the turn when a blank comes, it may be worth laying down - it's probably a slowplayed 8 (where he decided to slowplay after you showed strength with the reraise).

bunky9590
02-03-2004, 12:21 AM
I'd three bet him there, and see if he caps. If he calls, lead at the turn.

I would have raised preflop however, would make the hand a little easier to play.

ResidentParanoid
02-03-2004, 12:44 PM
well played.

Luke
02-03-2004, 01:10 PM
I'd consider a preflop raise depending on the players behind you.

3-betting the flop and betting out the turn if he doesn't cap is cool. It's likely the way I would have played the hand also.

But out of curiosity, what do you guys think of just calling the flop raise and betting out the turn, folding to another raise? The reason I suggest this is some players will slow down on the flop HU with an 8 and not cap - planning to raise the turn. So you may 3-bet the flop and not get popped until the turn.

Anyone agree with this line of reasoning? (I'm not sure that I do - just thought I'd throw it out there.)

Luke

SA125
02-04-2004, 11:33 AM
I agree that 99 is a 2 bet PFR. I still like 3 betting flop to see if he hits back. If he does slowplay like you said and bangs the turn, that's never fun. I'm not sure I even lay it down then. I'm all for mucking when overcarded, but think long and hard when faced with just strentgh.