PDA

View Full Version : Help with player typeing

-Spike-
01-31-2004, 08:08 PM
This is mostly for online play.

I am having a difficult time being able to read the players I play against. I'm also finding it difficult to label a player a specific type.

Yes...I'm fairly new to the poker world, hence the newb comments.

Anyway, what I would like to find out, what are some fairly easy methods of typeing a player (tight, loose, weak, strong, passive, agressive).

Again, this is because I've been playing online mostly and thefore do not have alot of time each hand to figure things out. Any help would be appreciated.

Spike

ZeeJustin
01-31-2004, 08:35 PM
I use pokertracker (www.pokertracker.com, price increases $15 after tonight, so buy it now!), and it helps me out a lot, especially since I often find it hard to pay attention at the table.

For each player I have played over 50 hands with, I look up 3 stats in poker tracker and write them down under my notes for that player. The first number is the most important, % flops seen. The second number is % of hands raised preflop. The third is % of showdowns seen after seeing a flop.

Flops seen is a perfect indicator of looseness preflop.
PFR% is a perfect indicator of aggressiveness preflop, and a decent indicator of aggressiveness postflop.
Showdowns seen % is a good indicator of looseness after the flop.

I find these numbers to be all I need to make a decision 99% of the time in limit holdem.

Note that this is the lazy approach for people that don't like to watch every showdown.