PDA

View Full Version : mutual funds, etc

Kenshin
01-31-2004, 05:43 PM
I have approximately 15,000 dollars that I wish to invest. Does anyone have any recommendations for low risk (KEY!!!) moderate return mutual funds or the like?

namknils
02-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Hi,

There was a very interesting discussion a little while back in the Internet forum (I think), if you search for "investing poker earnings" you will probably find it. A lot of people recommended Scotrade.com as a good place to use.

If you are looking for a low risk investment do a little research on Bond funds. They are typically lowest risk.

namknils
02-03-2004, 04:32 PM
"Investing Poker Winnings" was the name of the thread, good stuff.

Czech_Razor
02-03-2004, 06:53 PM
and is it (I assume) in a taxable account? Lastly, and I know this sounds dumb, but define what you mean by "risk." I'd want to know the answers to all three before I started kibitzing. The thread the other guys steer you to is good too.

@nth

GeorgeF
02-04-2004, 09:43 PM
1) you might consider just sitting on it hoping that the stock market goes down, bond yeilds go up.

2) Vanguard.com or TIAA/CREF is a good place to start as their mutual funds have low expense ratios.

3) You might consider keeping $10000 in cash and put $5000 in a foreign bond fund to diversify.

shutupndeal
02-09-2004, 10:26 PM
Hi Kenshin, My In-laws owned 2 seats on the exchange, we also went down for insider trading, of course I wont tel you the name cuz the family doesnt need the aggravation anymore and it has since sold our half to the other partner anyway, I said this only so U may believe in my advice a tad more, but there are concerns as someone wrote before me, how long would you NOT need the money, how safe do you want to play it, is this money that absolutley HAS to show a return or would you be interested in taking a small chance for a huge return? These would all have to be answered along with where you want to be in the future and IS THIS YOUR ONLY invested monies? Personally and very basically I love funds like the Magellan and First Fidelity, they are year after year after year winners with a very low risk very low downside if any, last year I believe the return was over 33%, now that making a buck huh? I think it will be just as good if not better this year BUT OF COURSE that is all specualtion like my taking a shot with AMD was this year! : )
Good Luck /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sixth_Rule
02-11-2004, 03:21 PM
You should have bought disney stock with it yesterday