PDA

View Full Version : Reraise With TPTK?

theBruiser500
01-31-2004, 04:41 PM
I have a specific hand which I'm curious about, but also how to play this type of situation in general.

At Pokerstars .50 - $1 buy in game, 8 handed, I have about $70 in front of me to start the hand, my opponent has me covered. I limp in in middle position with Ad9d, someone right behind me raises to $3, someone in LP calls, a blind calls, I call.

Flop comes 9h 7h 6d, blind checks, I bet out $7, preflop raiser folds, LP raises to $14, blind calls. This is where I'm unsure, this strikes me as a very difficult situation. And yes, I know this could have been avoided by folding preflop, but I think I can outplay my opponents at lower stake tables and make some profit in this situation.

1) If I raise and he calls he could very easily have a 8, but he could also have two pair or trips or a straight. Do I go all in on the turn if he calls my reraise? If I check and he bets (which he could easily do with just an 8) I have to give it up, no?

2) Another way to play it is check/call which I did in the game, but if he has a draw he'll get the money in when he has the best hand, and check when I have the best hand.

3) I think maybe this is the best way to play it. Call the flop raise, and then if a non-10 or 5 comes off, I can check raise him all in. As opposed to the other options this has the advantage of letting him bet his inferior 9, or bet his straight draw and let him get some more of his money in with a worse hand whereas if I reraise on the flop he can save a bet. Also, if I checkraise him here, I can see how big his bet is. If he bets the pot or overbets it, maybe I'll just fold, but if it seems like a weak bet then I can raise all in.

Thoughts?

danny

theBruiser500
01-31-2004, 05:08 PM
Also, I realize the irony in saying that I can outplay my opponents in these marginal situations, and then posting it here and saying I don't know how to play it.

danny

gavrilo
01-31-2004, 05:11 PM
I try not to play my whole stack with a pair of nines/best kicker with this board. He could easily have a straight, two pair, a set, a hand like JT of hearts and has more outs than I can count. Not to mention both the blinds called.
With such a coordinated board and multiple players, I would usually check the flop and take it from there. I guess I'm just not one to invest a ton of money into this hand.

theBruiser500
01-31-2004, 05:24 PM
I know this hand has to be played cautiously, but what specific course of actioin do you suggest?

danny

gavrilo
01-31-2004, 05:59 PM
There are many points as to why I don't like getting involved too far in this hand.
The board sucks for your hand, simple as that.
LP could have anything here really and it doesn't take much to beat your hand.
You have two blinds who are also interested in this hand.
There aren't very many cards in the deck that you would like to see on the turn and river besides running diamonds or running Aces or Nines.
Reraising on the flop will not win this pot for you unless all the players were just kidding about the raises and the calls.
Calling the raise and seeing the turn will likely involve everyone checking to LP who bets, but you have blinds to worry about. Let's say the Turn is the brick of all bricks, a black deuce, So LP bets, blinds call again, what do you do?
When you don't flop well in a raised multiway pot like in this situation, you aren't making an incorrect decision by checking and folding IMHO.

Paul2432
01-31-2004, 08:14 PM
You did not mention an overpair as a possible holding. My read would be TT or JJ for the LP player and some kind big draw (or maybe a made hand) for the blind.

I agree with the other posters, your position once you are raised makes this hand unplayable.

If you feel like gambling I would re-raise all-in eliminating your positional disadvantage. Your hand is either good right now or it isn't. You don't really have odds to draw. In the best case an overpair folds and a draw calls and misses. I don't think this is the right play though.

Paul

1800GAMBLER
01-31-2004, 11:01 PM
Hey.

Ray Zee says you should be done with this hand on the flop (i think the thread was called some like (Ray Zee please clear this up), or make a small bet on the turn (if it blanks) and if your opponents aren't aggressive enough with a draw to throw you off your hand.

However, with players as bad as we play with, and shallow money i think betting the flop could be an OK play, but you are going to have to play well on 4th and 5th.

I don't know if Ray Zee intended his advice to be general for every situation or detailed to the games he is used to.

In your hand, i'd call and bet out on the turn incase he is trying for a free card play. I would have checked the flop with a preflop raiser though.

I would have folded preflop too. Even if you think you can outplay your opponent here, the money isn't deep enough.

SpaceAce
01-31-2004, 11:14 PM
This looks like a pretty easy fold to me. I know how tempting it is to tell yourself that your opponent is overplaying AK or K9 but the reality is that you're probably behind.

SpaceAce