PDA

View Full Version : KK on the first orbit

JDO
01-31-2004, 09:56 AM
This hand has raised questions in my mind for a while. I think I did ok, but I was curious what the folks on this board thought.

First orbit of a UB 5 or 10 dollar SnG we all have roughly 1000t. I'm on the button with KK. Folded to MP who min raises to 40, one caller between us. I bet the pot (110). Folded back around to MP who calls, the other guy calls as well.
Flop:

QhJd8h

MP goes all-in. I have no reads on him at all. Folded to me. I think for a second and fold.
My reasoning was. Allot of players will make a pot building min raise with JJ-AA, and if that's the case, he's got me beat. Second, it's not out of the question that he has two pair, in which case I am beat. Third, it was to close of a call with not a good enough hand to play. I'm just curious what you all think of my lay-down. I think that my pre-flop raise should have been 50-100% bigger considering how early it was.

After playing the whole SnG with the guy I learned that he could have had any two cards, but that's hindsite...

Poker Jon
01-31-2004, 10:50 AM
I this situation, I would be almost positive that he is on a draw (straight or flush)as that is the only reason I can see for him going all in. If he has two pair or trips, and puts you on an overpair, he would milk you for more chips. If he has trips then, going all in is a poor play as far as I am concerned.

I would have definately called with KK.

But hey what do I know!!

Jon

PrayingMantis
01-31-2004, 11:16 AM
I would consider raising more PF. There was a long discussion on the former tournaments forum regarding what exactly is a pot-bet. To put things short, a pot-bet (or pot-raise) in your situation PF, is T190, and not T110. I think I would probably bet 200-300 in that spot, so I won't find myself with 4 players on the flop. The original raiser will probably call alone.

On the flop, without a specific read, I think I call his all-in. I don't think he has a set, or QJ (I don't see people mini-raising PF with it) and I'll suspect actually he has AJ (only a guess) or maybe a draw. I see many times on these levels, players who try to protect 2nd pair with all-in, or even 3rd, if they have a poker-pair (like TT in your situation). If he has AA, well, it's never easy to get away from AA vs. KK situations. I guess you'll have to wait in line for another game.

That's only my expirience,

PrayingMantis

eastbay
01-31-2004, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This hand has raised questions in my mind for a while. I think I did ok, but I was curious what the folks on this board thought.

First orbit of a UB 5 or 10 dollar SnG we all have roughly 1000t. I'm on the button with KK. Folded to MP who min raises to 40, one caller between us. I bet the pot (110). Folded back around to MP who calls, the other guy calls as well.
Flop:

QhJd8h

MP goes all-in. I have no reads on him at all. Folded to me. I think for a second and fold.
My reasoning was. Allot of players will make a pot building min raise with JJ-AA, and if that's the case, he's got me beat. Second, it's not out of the question that he has two pair, in which case I am beat. Third, it was to close of a call with not a good enough hand to play. I'm just curious what you all think of my lay-down. I think that my pre-flop raise should have been 50-100% bigger considering how early it was.

After playing the whole SnG with the guy I learned that he could have had any two cards, but that's hindsite...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about UB, but on PP this is a terrible fold. This guy is very likely to hold a 4-flush, AQ, KQ, or even Qx.

eastbay

BradleyT
01-31-2004, 03:45 PM
I would definately call here. This is a less scary board than if an ace had popped up.

I would say he had AQ or QJ or maybe even AJ and put you on a low(er) pair. I find that in the $5 SnG's if you don't go all in or make a HUGE bet pre-flop that people don't credit you for having aces or kings. To them a "T$100 bet" doesn't signal aces or kings even though that's over 6X the BB.