PDA

View Full Version : Using the check-box buttons a tell?

AndysDaddy
01-31-2004, 01:18 AM
In another post, someone wrote:
[ QUOTE ]

UTG(T1400) limps all fold to me, I limp, and BB(T800) checks fast enough that he must be using the check box buttons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use these buttons fairly often, just because its easier when you have 74o and know exactly what your play is going to be. I have often wondered if this is a tell, and one should never use them. Any thoughts on the subject?

MasterShakes
01-31-2004, 01:34 AM
It is not at all a consistent enough of a tell for me to use it. I've read elsewhere that where everybody checks in rapid succession, you can guess that they don't have anything. Even in that situation, you could be walking into a check-raise. I wouldn't worry that you're giving away anything by using them.

CrisBrown
01-31-2004, 01:38 AM
Hi AndysDaddy,

There are only two times when I think this tell is reliable, and both happen pre-flop. The first is when a call happens immediately after a raise; at that point it's pretty obvious that the player had "call any" checked, and it's a good tell of a strong hand. The second is when the play comes around to the BB and the check comes instantly; it's pretty obvious the player had "check/fold" checked, and doesn't have anything dangerous. (But you still have to be wary of a rag flop.)

Cris

Al_Capone_Junior
01-31-2004, 03:53 PM
http://www.cardplayer.com/?sec=afeature&art_id=13542

This is an article by my buddy Matt Lessenger from card player. He has some good points here, tho I don't agree with every point in the article. Decide for yourself.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
01-31-2004, 04:02 PM
The spots you should definitely NOT use the auto-fold buttons are when you may get the chance to steal with a hand you might never call a bet with. For instance, in stud you're two to the right of the bring-in with (92)K. Well, I'd never call a bet with this after someone else voluntarily entered the pot. But I'll wait until someone DOES enter the pot before putting the check in the "fold in turn" box. That's because I'll surely go for the steal if everyone folds. Similar situations might come up in late position in hold'em.

al

PYITE
01-31-2004, 05:22 PM
I use the buttons quite often, and don't fear giving anything away.
However, there are 2 buttons I NEVER use. The "Call Any" is a useless button, I have never checked it. I also do not use the buttons in the BB. When I first began online play, I checked fold in the BB a few times, when I would've received a free flop. I am speaking of Party, never tried another site. Why is fold even an option from the BB in an unraised pot?

t_perkin
01-31-2004, 09:39 PM
I wrote the quote.

As Capone points out, it is a useful tell when the player is in the BB. You can be pretty sure he does not have a monster if he autochecks.

Also after the flop, if there are two or three players to act in front of you and they check very quickly I would not figure them for a monster, although I would not necessarily go for the steal, plenty will call. But I have never seen anyone go for check raise with a monster hand using these buttons (I only play at $10 and $30 tourns, it may be different at higher levels).

Some players continue to use them on the BB even when down to the final 2 or 3, you can make a lot of use of this. If I see a player doing this regularly then I will often min raise with just about any hand when I am in the SB (although make sure you wait long enough to give them plenty of time to get that button checked - you don't want them changing their mind when they see ur min raise! /images/graemlins/smile.gif).

Also if you watch very carefully and keep a note of the players that use the check/fold button very regularly (often players who play 2 or 3 tables use them a lot) you can then imply something about the strength of their hand when they DON'T use the check/fold button but check anyway - this is when you look out for the check raise.

But most of this stuff is only useful in tipping you one way or another on a real coin toss decision.

Also be careful: You need a fast (I have 2mbps DSL) connection, and if you play at party then the network status window can be useful.

tim

BradleyT
01-31-2004, 09:55 PM
I use the Check (not check/fold) button a lot. It then gives me a chance to see a min raise and call if I wish to do so.

I'll also use it when I have a monster as a reverse indicator trying to show weakness and induce a bet from my opponents.