PDA

View Full Version : Largest pot I have been in at .50/1 level in a while; thoughts?

The_shootist
01-31-2004, 12:44 AM
Last night on a table with a couple players who seemed tight aggressive, but did not have that good a feel at this time.

Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed)
Shootist has 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif and is BB

EP1 raises, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, Button folds, SB calls, Shootist calls
<font color="red"> I had to put in an extra .50 to see the flop w/ about $5.00 on the table.</font>

Flop(10 SB): A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, Shootist checks, EP1 bets, EP2 raises, MP1 calls, SB calls, Shootist calls, EP1 3-bets, EP2 caps, MP1 calls, SB calls, Shootist calls, EP1 calls
<font color="red"> checked because of pre-flop action and I figured this was coming. I figured I was looking at AK; AQ or high pocket pair between the other three. felt like I was still getting good pot odds to see the turn</font>

Turn(20 BB): 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif
<font color="red"> woohoo /images/graemlins/laugh.gif now I thought about check raising, but I had a feeling betting was going to get capped anyway, so I lead off; was this a mistake?</font>

SB checks, Shootist bets, EP1 calls, EP2 raises, MP1 calls, SB folds, Shootist 3-bets, EP1 calls, EP2 calls, MP1 calls

River(32 BB): 6/images/graemlins/club.gif
<font color="red"> Now this caused me a little worry, but I figured I would find out soon enough. Does anyone think I should have gone into check/call mode? </font>

Shootist bets, EP1 calls, EP2 calls, MP1 calls

Results to follow

The_shootist
01-31-2004, 02:23 AM
EP1 had AK; EP2 had AJ; and MP had JJ. My straight held up and I took down $30. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-31-2004, 02:30 AM
Well played. Your preflop call is easy, getting 9:1. The flop call is ok getting 7:1...you can expect to be paid off if you hit your straight here. Good value bets on the turn/river...I would pay AA off on the river here every time.

colgin
01-31-2004, 02:46 AM
Pre-flop is fine.

Flop is questionable. You are on the fence in terms of getting the correct implied odds to call two bets cold here. However, since you are facing the possibility of EP1 (who was the pre-flop raiser) re-raising, your effective odds are much worse than they initially seem. This is in fact what happened.

The turn you played fine. The turn card does not look too scary so betting out gives you a very good chance to get in a three bet and maybe even capping with the nuts when you are raised by EP1 or EP2.

Without the turn getting capped, I would bet this river every time. If raised then probably just call. Nice hand.

Colgin

Dylan Wade
01-31-2004, 03:29 AM
I don't know. 7:1 on the flop, sure. But his draw is a tiny bit better (thanks to bd flush) than 10.5 :1 against. You could really push it and factor in implied odds.

Oh no, you can't!

Even if you were getting immediate pot odds you have to seriously consider the 2-flush out there. Usually you can ignore this for OESDs because the pot more than compensates for it. But that is not true for gutshots. Sure, the 3-flush does help you a little. But not enough.

Another problem with the flop call is that we expect there to be betting on later streets (justifying implied odds) but we also assume that the flop won't be re-raised. That's a disasterous assumption.

This call is a loser in the long run.

me454555
01-31-2004, 05:40 AM
Your flop call is questionable. your getting 17-2 odds on the call w/the possiblity of a 3 bet to follow. You have 3 clean outs, and the distinct possiblity of a redraw if the flush hits on the river.