PDA

View Full Version : Bad Beat? Did I play this right?

jwg152
01-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Here's the deal. Party tourney 100 buy-in, mid level, 100-200 blinds. I have 6000 chips.
Player A UTG raises 200, player B (also has around 6000 chips)two places to the left raises 1000. I have KK in middle position and call the bet and everyone else folds and Player A calls.
Flop comes down Q and two rags. Player A checks, Player B raises 1000, I go all in. Player A folds. Player B calls. turn brings J, river a 10. Player B has a 1010, and wins the pot.
I first thought it was a bad beat, and it kind of was, but I think that I should have gone all in before the flop. The only reason that I didn't was that I did fear Player B had pocket aces. I would appreciate any comments about my play.

drewjustdrew
01-30-2004, 07:55 PM
For the size of the pot, I would go all-in, or fold. Most likely, I would go all-in. I would be nervous for AA like you were, but he could just as easily have qq,jj, or tt. No matter what, your opponent played the hand horribly and got lucky. Even after the flop, he should have folded to your raise, saving the last $4000.

DougBrennan
01-30-2004, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
first thought it was a bad beat, and it kind of was, but I think that I should have gone all in before the flop. The only reason that I didn't was that I did fear Player B had pocket aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which begs the question, "Then why did you raise him all-in after the flop which offered you no help?"

I think you should have raised all-in pre-flop as well. Wouldn't have prevented the getting rivered had he called, but it might have gotten him out of the hand before he felt pot-committed. And would have still left you a tidy pot.

ThaSaltCracka
01-30-2004, 08:35 PM
The only thing you did wrong was not raising preflop. Go Over the top of your opponent with either an all in bet or 3x his bet. your opponent got lucky, but honestly only because you gave him the opportunity too.

sam h
01-31-2004, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The only reason that I didn't was that I did fear Player B had pocket aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

The key thing is you're going to get it all-in anyway on most flops. At least I hope you weren't planning on folding on any flops that didnt include an ace.

If you want to just coldcall the raise - not a good idea here, but defensible in some situations - it should be because you want to trap your opponent with your monster, not because of fear of AA.