PDA

View Full Version : 2 hands from Pacific .25/.50

Ric
01-30-2004, 06:37 PM
I just finished a very good session, finally regained my intial bonus money /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Here's 2 hands I'd like you all to critique. I'm not experienced at all on heads up, so I don't have much idea where I'm at on the first hand. In retrospect, I should have played hand 2 more aggressively, he would have called.

Hand 1: Dealt K /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif UTG +1 (8 handed)
UTG folds, I raise, CO calls, rest fold
Flop: 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif
I check, CO bets, I raise, CO calls
Turn: J /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I bet, CO calls
River: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I bet, CO folds

Should I have checked the river here to try and get another BB out of him? I'm not very experienced heads up so I just kept on firing away. I'm not sure if I outdrew him, or he was on a club draw and it never hit.

Hand 2: Dealt Q /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in SB
2 limp, I complete, BB checks
Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I bet, BB calls, limper 1 raises, limper 2 calls, I call, BB calls
Turn: K /images/graemlins/spade.gif
I bet, BB folds, limper 1 raises, limper 2 folds, I call
River: 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (At this point I figure him for a Q as well, so I won't bother to raise any)
I check, limper 1 bets, I call

Results: <font color="white">He had 87o, MHIG. Is my attitude towards a possible chop too passive? Should I continue raising, even if I think we will split the pot? I guess a hand like this shows that I should.</font>

Thanks for any advice.

fluff
01-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Hand 1:

Since he became passive since your flop raise, I think it is unlikely that he will bet behind you if you check the river. In my opinion the correct move here would be just to bet out.

Hand 2: Never figure someone for a chopping hand. Keep betting to the limit. If it is a chop, the most you'll lose is a little bit in rake. If it isn't, you stand to gain a lot, and you'd be surprised what people will show down with, as in this case with the wrong end of a straight.

Of course in this case your straight is not to the nuts, and this should be the reason for not capping, unless you're reasonably certain he doesn't have AQ.

thirddan
01-30-2004, 08:09 PM
Hand 1: If i raise preflop and get heads up i will lead at just about every pot if im first to act. I also not crazy about the c/r because i don't htink you get any info out of it and you still don't know if your hand is good. If he has a T is is probably not gonna 3bet here. Rest of hand played fine.

Hand 2: 3bet this turn and he might cap (if he caps he probably has Q)...if i thought opponent would bet his river i would c/r, but if he 3bets i would just call

el_grande
01-30-2004, 08:17 PM
Hand 1: Bet out on the flop. Flop check-raises are usually done to protect your hand. You have nothing to protect.

Hand 2: You can get one raise in on the river. I would just call a reraise in case of AQ.

Trix
01-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Hand 1)
Bet flop, turn and river, well played. Bet river cuz he will call more than he will bet.

Hand 2) 3Bet turn, Raise river. Only hand you are behind to is AQ and he should have raised that preflop.

Gomez22
01-30-2004, 08:40 PM
HAND 1: I think I bet the flop here - you'll get more info betting out than raising behind with overcards. Alot of players will NOT 3-bet a flopped set. I wouldn't here.... I'd keep you on the hook to get more later.

On the turn, you have to bet your draw, so I like this play..... IF he had 3-bet you on the flop, what do you do here?

The river... you have to bet here. Look at trying for a check-raise this way HU: In this situation, you REALLY wnat to get all the money in the pot as possible. If you check, there is a possibility he will check it through, in which case you lose 1 BB. If you bet, he's either going to call, fold, or raise. If he calls, you gain 1 BB, if he folds, you win anyway, if he raises, you can 3-bet for more money. It's either 0 or 2 bets or 1 or 3 here..... ALWAYS bet out unless you're absolutely sure a single player behind you will bet if you check...

HAND 2(I haven't looked at results yet): I 3-bet the turn here... the other 2 in this hand have already folded, and I want to see if he really has the Q. If he caps, you can bet the river and call a raise, but in the off-chance he has 2 pair on the turn, or a set, I want to get more money out of him......

Ric
01-31-2004, 02:09 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I really didn't like it when I checkraised in Hand 1, but if anything it got him to slow down and/or think he's behind.

For hand 2, I guess in this case where I have the second-nuts I should continue raising until it seems blatantly obvious that he has AQ (maybe he 3 bets the turn, I cap, and then he continues raising at the river), then just call and see what he's got. I'll grind out these extra BBs eventually...