PDA

View Full Version : Turning top pair bad kicker

Allan
01-30-2004, 05:12 PM
Party 2-4:

I get A5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif's in the cutoff and limp after 3 others, sb plays, bb checks 6 to the flop

2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif it gets checked around.

turn is A /images/graemlins/club.gif Ep bets gets a caller.

your play?

Allan

Benn Eubank
01-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Hi,

FWIW, I think this is a good post. I have a lot of trouble with TPNK. My reply is more just to bump this than to give you advice.

I would raise here, but fold to a 3-bet. Based on the betting so far, it's unlikely anyone has AK, AQ. AJ maybe, but they might well have bet out on the flop. Two pair or a straight draw would very possibly have bet the flop. Anyone else with TPNK may well fold to your raise. Could be problematic if someone in early position was check-raising, although perhaps they shouldn't check-raise as with the Q-high board there is the fear of giving people with overcards a free card. Interested in what people think about this.

Cheers, Benn.

el_grande
01-30-2004, 05:58 PM
Don't know how much more I know but...

In general I like the raise play BUT I would fold in this situation because of the pot size. 3BB to the turn, 5BB to you and now you want to spend 2BB to try and fold out the player behind you and hope the first two don't have the A they are representing?

Nah, just fold.

balkii
01-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Raise, and check behind on the river if you dont hit a 5. This is why having position with this hand is key.

Although depending on the players you might be able to bet river.
Folding to a 3-bet is probably good too.

balkii
01-30-2004, 06:03 PM
El grande, what makes you think Hero doesnt have the best hand? Someone betting on the turn when the flop was checked around? That bet could mean ANYTHING.

el_grande
01-30-2004, 08:28 PM
I know, but there is a caller and the pot is 5BB.

Seems a very close decision that can't be very wrong either way. I believe you would have to be about 30% sure your hand is good.

balkii
01-30-2004, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know, but there is a caller and the pot is 5BB.

Seems a very close decision that can't be very wrong either way. I believe you would have to be about 30% sure your hand is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but come on, you know that the caller doesnt have [censored]. There are only 2 other aces in the deck, and no one raised preflop, lessening the chances of another A being in someones hand. You will definitely have the best hand here often enough to go to showdown.

Allan
01-31-2004, 12:10 AM
I did think about folding but instead I did raise in this spot and I got 3 bet which I folded to, but I'm thinking calling down isn't such a bad option if you are going to play on. The main reason is that it is tough to call a 3 bet here and there might be some chance that you might be able to beat or chop with your opponent depending on his hand (if you are behind). Say he has QJ and was going for a checkraise and wiffed now you're folding to a 3 bet in a spot you shouldn't be. It might be a bummer if you end up winning the hand by being ahead on the turn and not getting full value from it but what do you guys think of this?

Allan

Clarkmeister
01-31-2004, 12:24 AM
My play is to raise preflop to buy the button about 50% of the time. Failing that, I certainly bet the flop when checked to...call that about 90% of the time.

On the turn, I'd probabaly fold.

Benn Eubank
02-04-2004, 08:28 PM
Hi Clarkmeister,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to this.

Cheers, Benn