PDA

View Full Version : 10-10 with K on flop

serling
01-30-2004, 04:56 PM
I mix up my play a lot in these hectic Party 5/10 short games and try to adapt and adjust, but sometimes these plays cost me more than if I had just check-called (or folded to begin with).

So I have questions on every street. How would you guys have played this, and what do you think of how I played?

Party Poker 5/10 (6 handed)

Hero has T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is MP1

Hero raises, CO 3-bets, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls

(Now that it's heads-up, should I have capped preflop? CO seemed LAG before... earlier he had reraised preflop with A8o... although, in Party 5/10 short, is raising a medium Ace even considered LAG?)

Flop(7 2/5 SB): 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero checks, CO bets, Hero calls

(Should I have bet out or check-raised here to see if he had the King?)

Turn(4 7/10 BB): 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, CO bets, Hero raises, CO calls

(I didn't do it on the flop, but here I am being fancy and check-raising the turn. Him continuing to call makes me think he at least has a King and I'm dead. Am I throwing money away here by making this play?)

River(8 7/10 BB): 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero checks, CO checks

(Did I lose a bet?)

I ended up taking down the pot when the hand history revealed CO had A/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.

Thanks,
serling

stripsqueez
01-30-2004, 07:55 PM
when you dont get 3 bet on the turn against this sort of player i would guess your a big favourite - i would bet the river although checking might induce a bluff from a really bad player even though you check raised the turn

i wouldnt cap pre-flop but its probably close - whether to raise the flop is close - will he 3 bet without a king ? - he sounds like the sort who might - i am stylistically (i'm guessing this is a word) opposed to check/calling all the way

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

naphand
01-31-2004, 12:40 PM
I would say call the PF action at 3-bets - you're not sure what you are up against here and there is no extra value to be had from the raise, in terms of bad calls from other players or other players folding.

I see this play (capping with suited Aces) from LAG players all the time. I also see them do this with QTo and KTo but not so often. These SH nuts put a huge emphasis (incorrectly) on suited cards, it's rank first and suits second IMO.

On the flop I would go for the CR as there is a good chance he is on an A and you are likely leading at this point, his response should tell you. A 3-bet from him and you have to think about check/calling, but if you're read on him is that he will 3-bet a draw like this, or any pair, then call his 3-bet and bet out on the Turn.

In this case he kept calling as he had A overcard and the inside straight draw. He was clinging on.

I think your CR on the Turn is ok but it's a more expensive time to find out you are behind, much depends on your read of the player and how hard you see him push his hands.

The River check was fine, as he is not calling you now he thinks you have the K (or at least a better A than him). Very similar to this hand:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=502991&page=0&view=co llapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

And the answer I got looks the right play to me.

davidross
01-31-2004, 05:39 PM
The more I play in these games the more you realise how important your pre-flop decisions are. He made you money by 3 betting a hand that was a considerable dog to you.

Post flop, it comes down to your reads on each other. Will you fold to a 3 bet or raise? Will he call your river bet or bluff if you check? Those decisions are so player dependant. Knowing that he will 3 bet A5s, I guess you need to raise somewhere, or just come out betting on the flop. I think I would bet the river. 99 and under, and maybe AQ will call you down. You're going to cal his bet anyway and only KK will raise you on the river. He's afraid you have AA by now.

Schneids
01-31-2004, 06:36 PM
...because I will often cap this preflop against a LAG.

I do this because even LAGs can become fearful. Your cap tells them you are powerful and they're going to be much less hesitant to try to put a move on you (like say, 3-betting you on the flop with nothing but A-high). Basically, I cap to try to make play from the flop, on to the end of the hand, easier.

I personally would cap here most time with 99-QQ. I know most people would with KK as well, and many AA, but those hands I am confident I can extract extra bets on the expensive streets. Plus, by only calling with KK or AA, it allows me to only call a third bet, without the call screaming weakness, after I raise KJs in the CO and the button three-bets me.

As for the hand itself, I think you played it fine. I'd more often c/r the flop then turn (probably about 80-20), but c/r the turn without top pair like this (though still sommewhat confident you're winning) is a good thing to do sometimes to get you the extra action later on when you c/r the turn with a much better hand than this.