PDA

View Full Version : Bad week - $5/10 need help on a hand PLEASE

harboral
01-30-2004, 04:09 PM
Took a real beating this week - about 140BB - please take a look at this hand for review if you would. Typical Party $5/10 - playing 4 tables so no good reads but mostly loose/semi aggresive only about 1/2 the pots being raised preflop.

Al is UTG and dealt Qh Jh and raises to $10

Button calls as do both blinds

Flop: 6h, Js, 2d

Al bets

button calls, blinds fold

Turn: Jd

Al bets $10, button raises, I reraise, Button caps

River: Th

I check and call

Button shows 66 for full.

Now that I have written this, I see some mistakes but will leave this for review - please be harsh........I obviously need so help. Thanks, AL

calvin
01-30-2004, 04:45 PM
Al,

There aren't many games I would open raise QJs with from UTG; I would much rather be playing 3-7 players with this hand than 1-3.

With no read on the button, it's hard to put him on a hand. However, if he is sane, I think his most likely holdings would have to be:

JTs/AJs/AQs, or a pocket pair smaller than 88, as I think most players on the button would three bet with AK/88/99/TT/JJ/QQ/KK/AA to get HU.

Then again, who knows what a typical 5/10 party player will call two bets with on the button.

Given all of that, I think that--

Flop is routine.

Turn bet is routine; three bet is routine; now, player dependent, a fold to the cap could be argued for--but you still have a redraw, the pot is getting kind of big, and it is HU.

River is routine if you are going to call the turn cap, unless you really believe you had to improve in order to win, I suppose you could save yourself one BB.

It looks like he gave you a clear sign that he was not afraid of three Jacks when he capped the turn--but the only way to find this out is to three bet his turn raise. If you fold here, you save 2 BB--with no read on the button, I might end up mucking or check/calling. I would probably flip a coin.

Calvin

Bob T.
01-30-2004, 04:49 PM
The openraise with QJsuited UTG is a little on the edge, but other than that, I would have played it exactly the same way. There are tables that I would have openraised QJsuited in that position, so I really don't see a problem here.

MRBAA
01-30-2004, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't raise utg with QJs. But I also wouldn't three bet. What can he be raising you with (unless he is very LAG) other than a jack or a flopped set that just filled? Maybe slow played aces or kings. You do have a redraw to jacks full.