PDA

View Full Version : How to play flush-draw, top-pair in a 3-handed raised pot...

ElSapo
01-30-2004, 03:42 PM
Party 1/2, nine-handed but a lot of people sitting out, so I think it was more like six or seven. Game has been really loose-passive, and I limp early. I think there was one fold and I limped, so the limp is suspect at best but the table had been pretty good of late.

Hero has T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is MP2

Hero limps, CO raises, Button folds, SB folds, EP1 calls, Hero calls

Flop(6 SB): 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

EP1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks

I thought about betting here, but decided to checkraise instead. I was close between betting and letting the CO raise, or check-raising to hopefully trap everyone. Obviously, didn't work. But I couldn't decide if I had the best hand and wanted overcards out, or if I wanted both players in for my draw/top-pair for more bets.

Turn(3 BB): A/images/graemlins/spade.gif

EP1 bets, Hero calls, CO folds

CO checked it through and now the Ace hits. Plan was to call the EP1 bet, let CO raise and then three-bet. Foiled again. Obviously, all this works better CO has AK/AQ/AWhatever

River(5 BB): 5/images/graemlins/club.gif

EP1 bets, Hero raises, EP1 calls

Ok, finally I raise.

Trix
01-30-2004, 03:52 PM
bet flop, you cant afford giving free cards away, if CO raise, then 3bet. Only checkraise if CO is one of those who always bets flop, no matter what hits if he bet preflop.
The way you played: Turn, raise, dont give a free card to a single J-K of spades.

ike
01-30-2004, 03:52 PM
I think you got alot too fancy here. I would have just bet or raised every single time you had the chance on the flop and turn. I think you lost several bets.

me454555
01-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Bet the flop, you have a good hand but it is vulnerable and you have a lot outs.

Turn overcall is fine

River is fine too

Victor
01-30-2004, 04:22 PM
I would bet the flop. You certainly want to charge overcards and you can afford to call a raise with the flush draw.
On the turn the call is good if you are hoping for a CO raise or just want to keep him in.

Gomez22
01-30-2004, 04:55 PM
I'd bet the flop, Sap... TP with the flush draw??? You don't really get many stronger flops than this for what you're holding.

What's your read of CO? If he's a decent player, and will only raise PF with AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ, JJ, 1010, etc., I can see reason for trying the check-raise on the flop, but with a riase from CO, I have to think a little of sub-par premo hands for his raise, so I'm betting out here.

Turn and river look OK to me.

'Mez

Jezebel
01-30-2004, 05:09 PM
I think you played it fine. It just didn't work out for you this time. A high percentage of the time the Preflop raiser will be cooperative and bet. Just because he did not does not mean that it was incorrect to try.