PDA

View Full Version : 99 vs LAG and AK on board.

naphand
01-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Party $1/$2 6 max - only 5 seated.

I have just left a somewhat weak/typical game in search of some more aggression (!) and have played around 12-15 hands on this table.

There is a LAG player to my immediate left, the other players have not caught my attention, apart from the fact that they rarely raise PF and only raise 2-pair or better afterwards.

This is close to being an ideal table IMO.

I have already lost 2 hands to LAG with KK (losing to T4o when 443 flops) and 99 (losing to QTo on a Q high flop). He caps PF with anything "playable" (this does not happen very often, as the table is generally passive) and caps TP on the flop.

I am dealt 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the SB. LAG is button.

Folded to LAG who limps, naphand raises, BB folds, LAG calls.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

This looks like fun.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

naphand bets, LAG raises, naphand 3-bets, LAG calls.

Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

naphand bets, LAG calls.

River: T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

naphand bets, LAG folds.

I figured his raise was testing me, he would have raised any A PF and probably any reasonable K, or any pair, so I was looking for a call to say I was in front. I got the call, and so kept betting...

Standard stuff? or was my 3-bet a bit too much?

Shortly after this, I took all his chips AK vs A4o and A high Flop (capped until he ran out of chips)..... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The Gift Of Gab
01-30-2004, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a LAG player to my immediate left

[/ QUOTE ]
Immediate right, no?

I imagine he'd raise preflop here with any pair, two broadway cards, any ace, and many kings, so you're probably way ahead on the flop. His most likely hands are: a two, a gutshot wheel draw, and a flush draw. The flop three-bet looks good, and I think you could make a case for a turn checkraise.

On the river, I would check. The only times you will be called and win are when he has a two or a flush draw that made a pair on the river. But, he might take a stab with his busted draw; after all, he can't win if he doesn't bet, can he?

I think in this particular situation you'll make more inducing a bluff than you will betting.

naphand
01-30-2004, 03:56 PM
Gad yes - he was to my immediate right. Apologies.

The check on the River looks the right play, in hindsight. I don't want to CR the Turn here as he could be on the flush draw, and if so, and a free card would be a big mistake.

I feel that in general, I have been checking too many hands on the River, and probably have now over-compensated. With the 2 spades on the flush, and no more by the River a check would have looked like a missed draw, but this player would usually call the River with anything and I was quite surprised when he folded.