PDA

View Full Version : Button 56s: Steal raise situation

gonores
01-30-2004, 11:00 AM
Party 10/20

My image at the table could be considered rock-esque, even for full game standards.

SB is somewhat loose, rather passive, and not very tricky at all. I'll defend my steal raise with 6 high by saying he can lay down a few hands before the flop, and he won't chase a single overcard or something like that on the flop. BB is pretty new to the table, but he is clearly my best opposition at the table so far. He's only been coming in with raises, but he is still playing quite tight, and he maybe has a touch of weak-tight in his post-flop play.

On to the hand

I pick up 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif on the button and I open-raise, SB calls, BB 3-bets, we both call.

Flop comes 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets (at this point I'm pretty sure he has a queen), BB calls, I raise, SB calls, BB 3bets, I call, SB calls

I thought about laying down here to the 3bet because BB probably has a Q beat, but he could have it beaten pretty bad given the limp reraise, but I just couldn't fold because it was so unlikely that he had QQ (or 77), given my read on the SB.

Turn: 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, BB bets, I call, SB calls

River: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, BB bets, I call, SB call

My thoughts were I doubted I could string SB along with his queen for two bets, and I sorta, kinda feared a reraise from the BB. Is going for the overcall here in any way justifiable?

Doug

rtucker5
01-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Calling the river here is the correct play IMO. If you raise, the SB may fold and if the BB has you beat he will certainly 3 bet and you would have to call. If you call, the SB will probably make the overcall and you get the same number of bets had you raised and only the BB called. Bottom line, you lose less when beat, and win the same amount with less risk when ahead. But what do I know?

stripsqueez
01-30-2004, 07:45 PM
65s is garbage

i think you played it ok - as a general rule its bad to pay for your draw and then not raise when it hits

i throw this away for the 3 bet on the flop against some opponents but not many - if i didnt i would feel obliged to raise the river - the presence of the SB might justify an overcall this time

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

gonores
01-30-2004, 08:06 PM
Strips,

I agree...56s sucks, but I figured I would cash in some "rock" chips and raise against the BB that was most likely to fold.

The only reason I did not throw this away on the flop was my solid read on the SB for having a queen, making it less likely I was up against a boat.

Schneids
01-30-2004, 08:40 PM
The river play is close IMO. Since the BB call-reraised on the flop, I am more inclined to call and hope for the overcall.

Without that, I am raising and taking my chances. You still may catch SB cold-calling two on the river. If the game were NL I'd obviously really hate a reraise, but limit, nope, not that scared.